No announcement yet.

horsepower ratings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Davel, thanks a million! I never dreamed of finding an actual article about this bike from when it was new. It confirms a lot of my actual experience with it. It doesn't have much down low, but after 4000 rpm it pulls pretty good. I have the rear suspension set on the hardest setting, and I replaced the front springs with Progressives. I'd like to get a more modern bike, but after all I've been through on and with this bike, I don't think I'll get rid of it even after I get a new bike. It's really a lot of fun, and you don't see them on the road everyday. When I road the Dragon with it back in 2002, I toyed with the idea of getting it on the dyno at Deal's Gap, but I decided against it. Very cool article!

Originally posted by davel View Post
    Here's a good old article on that bike.

Note: Look at the TQ/HP numbers in the list not on the graph. Peak HP 28.6 with 20.0 FTLB torque at 7500rpm. That's correct. The dyno graph on this particular test is showing double the actual numbers. Also, the TQ and HP curves are mislabled...all sorts of typos on that graph...The numbers in the list are accurate.

I used to own one of these. First bike I ever ran at the 1/4 mile. 14.7 at 90mph

www.motorbikearchives.com has lots of great magazine road tests from back in the day. Just type your model in the search box.

Comment

I like 400's and have owned quite a few of them...
      Nice Ed, I like your attitude
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        I like 400's and have owned quite a few of them...

Honda CL360
        Honda CB400T2 (Hawk)
        Honda CB400F
        Yamaha RD400
        Yamaha XS400
        Suzuki GS450

All these bikes had enough power to get you into all kinds of trouble and even though I currently don't own a smaller bike I've still got a soft spot for them.
        From that bunch, the RD400 would be my 1st choice as a second bike today, for around-town entertainment....what a hoot!
        Honda CB400N/T for a more civilized, smooth ride. Have never tried the GS450 or the XS, but I'm guessing they are pretty close to the competition in feel & performance.
        '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
        Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by davidduarte View Post
          Anyone have a good source for the stock horsepower ratings on the GS bikes? I don't know what kind of power my trusty 80 GS450E is making.

Dave lots of places have dynos now why not give it a whirl? In Victoria they charge $100 for 4 passes with a chance to tune between...... I'll be doing it once the motor is done....then you'll know!

Randy

Comment

Working...
          X