1/8th mile times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1/8th mile times

I took my bike to the drag strip last night for the first time. Trying to figure out how to launch was interesting, the first run i started at about 4000rpm and it pulled the front wheel up and scared me so i let off then it bogged a little. surprisingly it was my best run. the other two times i tried leaving a little softer and it just bogged real bad off the line. i tried slipping the clutch a little but it just grabs. My best run was 8.62. my worst was 8.90. I have nothing else to gauge these times to. Is this good or bad for a stock 750? There's no mph cause they were doing street slyle drags so no slips, but looking at the speedo i was around 90 mph don't know how accurate that is though.

I might go to the quarter mile track this friday if the weather is nice.

Comment

my best run on my 79 750L was around 9.4 I believe. That is the 8 valve, with a 300 pounder on it. Oh, and also a complete lack of skill! hehe

To keep from bogging I had to launch around 6000 and really play the clutch.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-20-2010, 10:00 AM.

Comment

My best 1/8 mile time was in 1991 at AMA Prostar event in Gainesville, Fla
        Ran a 5:14 @ 133MPH with a slight tail wind
        79GS1000....1260cc..Billy

Comment

Can't help you with 1/8 mile times, but my 1985 700 ran 12.54 seconds at 103mph in the 1/4.
          Last edited by Guest; 05-20-2010, 12:30 PM.

Comment

She definitly feels like she'll lay down a low 8 second run if i could get a good 60'.

Comment

Originally posted by pistolpete View Post
              I took my bike to the drag strip last night for the first time. Trying to figure out how to launch was interesting, the first run i started at about 4000rpm and it pulled the front wheel up and scared me so i let off then it bogged a little. .
              This part reminds me of my first run down. I was way to quick on the clutch (yeah, I popped it!) at about 5000 rpm and she launched vertically to probably 45 degrees. I backed of quickly and she came back down.I then managed to wrap the throttle perfectly on the bounce and she came right back up! Surprised me to say the least. Pucker factor was pretty damned high, lucky I didnt leave a trail behind me.

Comment

Did this back at New England Dragway sept 26 2009
                I was the only 700cc bike on the track... Still not bad for a 25 year old bike for $75.00

1st run
                1/8 mile 8.294 @ 83.74 mph 1/4-13.058 @ 101.90 mph

2nd run
                1/8 mile 8.260 @ 87.48 mph 1/4-12.870 @ 104.78 mph

3rd run (last)
                1/8 mile 8.092 @ 87.66 mph 1/4-12.696 @ 105.09 mph

Comment

You wouldn't happen to know what your 60' times were?

Comment

NHRA uses these as 1/4 to 1/8 ET correction
                    8.90= 5.70
                    9.90=6.30
                    10.90=6.90
                    11.90=7.70

Comment

1st run 60' was 2.049 R/T .150
                      2nd run 60' was 2.107 R/T .277
                      3rd run 60' was 2.025 R/T .052 (I started to get the hang of it)
                      Would have run more but had oil comming from some where and I had to drive it home. Good thing once I got home I found that one of the cap nuts (the one right under or near the petcock) on the head was loose, finger tight.. That made my day .. thought I blew it up... Still cleaning that oil up to this day.. LOL
                      Again this is from a almost complety stock 85 700 , the only thing it has is a 4 into 1 supertrap and one size up on the jets. Stock airbox

I bet if I took a big $@$@# I could have made it in the high 11's... LOL
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-21-2010, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pistolpete View Post
                        You wouldn't happen to know what your 60' times were?
                        Yes. You'll need to know your 60' time. You should be shooting for under 2 seconds. 1.8 is attainable for a stock 700cc bike. Takes practice.

Comment

it takes HP to sixty foot worth a shlt.
                          under 2 on a GS 750 or smaller would be really good and leaving with the front wheel hanging a coupe inches.

Comment

Launch

Your times kept going down. Good sign. Here's a few ideas on how to keep them consistent.
                            Unless you have all the electronics, try this:
                            1) After stage, grab front brake and let the clutch out till the forks start to compress.
                            2) Pull back just enough to let the forks come back up and hold the clutch there
                            3) Pick your launch rpm spot and hold it
                            4) when the third yellow comes on (don't anticipate it, SEE IT), head for happy town.

J

Comment

Working...
                            X