No announcement yet.

I just Bought a Nitrous Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once upon a time (25 years ago) I bought a 100 shot nitrous kit from Orient Express in New York. I put it on my high 8 second drag bike and put a momentary push button switch on the left bar (horn button type). off to the drag strip we go to test it out.......I staged in the right lane for my first pass with the nitrous armed and ready....Left the line good, shifting through the gears, caught 5th gear a little early and pushed the button.....The tire broke loose (at roughly 130mph) and I immediately went LEFT into the other guys lane way ahead of him...... He now had a time slip he could show off to his friends....After talking with the guys at Orient Express, they told me to use a micro switch on the throttle and hit the nitrous right off the line. This was made possible by changing to a REALLY tall gearing, and I was rewarded with a 164.85 MPH timeslip and the ride of my life. Imagine going through the "lights" with the front wheel still in the air on a GS1000.....I soon took it off and went back to getting HP the honest way....Billy

Comment

Fuel injected bikes can run a "dry kit", nitrous only. http://aperaceparts.com/nx.html

The way they work, is the nitrous entering the air stream signals the ecu that there is more oxygen, and the ecu adds fuel.

The upside to these kits is they are less money than a wet kit, and pretty easy to install. The downside is that the ecu can only add so much extra fuel. If you exceed that limit by putting in too much nos, you quickly roast stuff.

The kit we sell is jetted as a 25 shot. That is pretty safe with most ecus. I have seen dry kits advertised as 50 shot. If they truly are, there is going to be some bikes that the ecu and injectors can't cope with it.

With the wet kits that put both fuel and nos thru the fogger, as long as you stay two jet sizes larger on fuel than nos, you should be pretty safe. That is until, you make too much power and start pushing head gaskets out, breaking cast pistons, etc.
      Speed Merchant
      http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

So I had some free time and I rigged her all up. I put the smallest jets in (16/18) which is about a 9hp shot per cylinder. I haven't used it yet but so far everything is functioning properly. Here are some photos..

Comment

Working...
        X