Low mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low mileage

I am getting 30mpg. On a 750. That runs seemingly well.

Originally posted by crapwacker View Post
    I am getting 30mpg. On a 750. That runs seemingly well.
    How are you riding it??

Comment

Not that redneck. I'm going to run through some plug chops this week. Dang it

Comment

I usually average about 40mpg on my 750L.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
          I usually average about 40mpg on my 750L.
          Stock pipes and airbox?

Comment

The difference in MPG from 65MPH to 75MPH can be as much as 5 or more MPG.. Just keep that in mind..

Comment

What got me is when I ride to and from work I wack the crap out of the throttle. Today I took my little woman on a day cruise (and the first ride I've taken her on) and drove gentlemanly and no change in mpg.

Comment

Stock pipes and airbox?
                Yes..thats with stock pipe and airbox. I don't ride 2 up but I weigh about 230lbs.

Comment

750's MPG

I get between 45 and 50 on both of mine.... in town commuting and weekend backroads. NEVER two up.
                  sigpic
                  1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
                  2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

I get ~45 mpg riding easy on my GS, around town or 65 mph on the highway. At higher highway speeds (75-80) or hauling through the twisties, it drops to ~38-40 mpg.
                    100% stock except for a K&N stock replacement air filter.

Comment

So you are basically wasting almost half of every gallon of gas that goes in your tank.

Poor carb tuning, including incorrect jetting, air and fuel screw adjustments, clogged passages, incorrect float levels, and synchronization could all be factors. Also ignition timing, cam timing, incorrect valve clearances, poor valve sealing, bad rings, intake leaks, exhaust leaks, restricted exhaust, dragging brakes, low tire pressures, could all have some effect as well. Using incorrect sprockets and chugging these engines at low RPM wastes fuel. They are much more efficient at mid RPM than at low. There are a lot of other reasons, these are just a few.

Most likely you have several of these slightly wrong, rather than one huge problem causing the poor mileage. Combinations of these problems sometimes seem to have a bigger effect.

The 4-1 pipe by itself won't cause poor mileage, but it may make exact tuning more difficult.

Don't settle for poor mileage, it can be fixed if you do all the work.
                      My 750 is usually just short of 50 mpg, has a 4-1 and pods, and is whipped like a rental mule quite often. The mileage gets better two up, as I don't thrash the engine as much with my wife on the back.
                      Oh, it has a GS 1000 engine too.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                      X