oil pressure gauge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil pressure gauge?

Is there a port on the gs 1000 that already is threaded to put a pipe fitting in to add a oil pressure gauge? Or where is the best place to ad the gauge? What parts are needed besides the gauge and tap needed if I have to drill and tap.

Contact Renobruce, he has gauge kits for sale.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

On the RH side of the cylinder there is a plug along the bottom. Problem is that it's a regular metric thread, not a pipe thread so finding an adaptor is not easy. I took a old galley plug and drill and tapped it 1/8" pipe so an elbow could be threaded in, and the gauge went to that. 15 psi gauges are about $20 from the various hot rod shops. If you don't want to monkey around with drilling and tapping a hole Bruce's kits are available on ebay, or drop him a PM.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

thanks

Thanks and I did drop him a pm but will also check out a source for an adapter since I might already have a gauge?

Comment

I have a 0-15PSI gauge kit that was bought from Renobruce that i'll sell you at a discounted price.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            On the RH side of the cylinder there is a plug along the bottom. Problem is that it's a regular metric thread, not a pipe thread so finding an adaptor is not easy. I took a old galley plug and drill and tapped it 1/8" pipe so an elbow could be threaded in, and the gauge went to that. 15 psi gauges are about $20 from the various hot rod shops. If you don't want to monkey around with drilling and tapping a hole Bruce's kits are available on ebay, or drop him a PM.
            Found this thread while looking for the thread size of the plug. Ended up pulling and measuring mine. It is the same as the drain plug, 14mm x 1.25, and uses a crush washer to seal- not pipe threads. As noted, this is an oddball thread for plumbing, as most is 14mm x 1.5. If you want a 14mm x 1.25 to 1/8 female pipe brass adapter, go to egauges.com, it is about $7 and is part #R7966. The factory plug and washer are still available if you'd like to drill your own:
            The plug is PN 09247-14026 and about $2, the washer is PN 09168-14004 and about $1.

BTW, I pull close to 40 PSI in cold weather on my red 1000G at higher RPMs (fairing mounted gauge with electric sender). Don't have a gauge on the blue one yet.
            Last edited by Guest; 02-03-2012, 08:08 PM.

Comment

In response..the big nut at the bottom of the jugs is where the guage goes.
              Last edited by chuck hahn; 02-03-2012, 09:24 PM.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I like Eds fix..that way you would also have the bolt head to tighten the pipe nipple in with after assembling it in a vice. Vice up the bolt in a drill press and it wont take but a few minutes to drill the center out.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

best feed place is off the gallery on the back of number four barrel. I dont however think that mounting the gauge doen there is too bright...whats the point if you cant see it while riding.

ive plumbed mine in using the gallery plug machined flat, drilled and tapped for std banjo fittings. attached to that i have a stainless braided oil line that goes up and comes through the hollow steering stem. the hole in the stem nut has been widened up and fitted with a rubber grommet so the fitting from the gauge pushes into the top nut snugly. this way i can keep an eye on the pressure safely while riding.

just my 2 cents
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-07-2012, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by saffa View Post
                    best feed place is off the gallery on the back of number four barrel. I dont however think that mounting the gauge doen there is too bright...whats the point if you cant see it while riding.

ive plumbed mine in using the gallery plug machined flat, drilled and tapped for std banjo fittings. attached to that i have a stainless braided oil line that goes up and comes through the hollow steering stem. the hole in the stem nut has been widened up and fitted with a rubber grommet so the fitting from the gauge pushes into the top nut snugly. this way i can keep an eye on the pressure safely while riding.

just my 2 cents
                    got any pics??

Comment

ill dig one out for you.....

Comment

here you go

Comment

and the gauge mounted through the nut

Comment

Working...
                          X