GS1100 super hogged out ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100 super hogged out ports

I've never seen ports hogged out this much before. To me, it doesn't look smooth. Is this what hi-power ports are supposed to look like?

just wondering

raised epoxy floors/weld on spigots...
    cooper is a bad man.
    not a street head unless your only street racing...real street raising.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
      raised epoxy floors/weld on spigots...
      cooper is a bad man.
      not a street head unless your only street racing...real street raising.
      Coop may be a "bad man" but he knows a hell of a lot about cylinder heads. Working with the likes of George Bryce @Star Racing many years ago, he learned a lot.....He's still my buddy.....Billy

Comment

If you want an excellent head port job at a more than reasonably priced give Terry a yell. You will have to talk to him about price, but for the typical parts and machine work cost, having him do some nice porting work is well worth the small amount he charges. And it is a damn site cheaper than $1K for a bare casting.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Calling Cooper a bad man is a compliment...

That is likely a $3500+ head. I know, I have one real similar done by Ray Mancini 10 years ago, went 159 on muscle last friday night in a street chassis with a fat guy on it.

you will not get near the performance that head wil provide for 1k in new work...

The head you posted pics of is not even close to what the CL ad is. Properly set up that head should provide in the range of 240 HP on a 1500
          Last edited by NoBars; 06-17-2010, 02:14 PM.

Comment

you have to compare apples to apples and you are not.
            look again at the head in the add and then go look at yours.
            COME ONNNNNNN!
            billy bad is good for sure or at least how i meant it.
            i guess i should have said baaaaadddddddd man.

Comment

Originally posted by NoBars View Post
              Calling Cooper a bad man is a compliment...

That is likely a $3500+ head. I know, I have one real similar done by Ray Mancini 10 years ago, went 159 on muscle last friday night in a street chassis with a fat guy on it.

you will not get near the performance that head wil provide for 1k in new work...

The head you posted pics of is not even close to what the CL ad is. Properly set up that head should provide in the range of 240 HP on a 1500
              Sorry to not be more clear. I'm talking about a street head for a street GS1100 putting out anything under 175 hp.

Of course I'm sure Terry could dial up whatever you would want for much cheaper than the other quotes.

BTW: I understand my head is a "mild port", but it is much more agressive than the typical "mild street port".
              Last edited by posplayr; 06-17-2010, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                you have to compare apples to apples and you are not.
                look again at the head in the add and then go look at yours.
                COME ONNNNNNN!
                billy bad is good for sure or at least how i meant it.
                i guess i should have said baaaaadddddddd man.
                You know alot more than I do about it, but as you mentioned this is really not something for a street bike. So I'm not really comparing, rather offering an alternative.

Comment

That is a good DRAG RACE head! I do a lot of heads & depending on the customer's needs, do the same stuff. Like Terry said, that is a RACE head & can't be bought new, ready to run, for less than 3500 bucks! Add titanium valves & the cost goes up 80 bucks for EACH valve! Well worth the asking price if the seats are still good. The problem with a head with valves & porting that big is that the valve seats become pretty thin & move around & have to be touched up on the valve job pretty often. Stainless valves amplify that problem over titanium due to being heavier & harder on the seats. Ray.

Comment

What is the increase in CFM for a head like this?

Comment

From a stock head that flows around 80-85 CFM to over 140 CFM! I have run 8.90s with a stock, UNported head with stock valves & just a good valve job. I have also gone 8.40s with a head that flowed 115 CFM. How does that sound for perspective? Ray.
                      Last edited by rapidray; 06-18-2010, 02:22 AM.

Comment

People are too easily impressed by flow numbers. I say the proof is in the E.T. and MPH.....I once took a 2V cylinder head, that I ported myself, to the local race shop and put it on the flow bench. The flow numbers were as high or higher than the guys there had ever seen. But then one of them pointed out that I forgot to put the spark plug in its hole ......Billy

Comment

Thanks for the chuckle BBB...
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

The 2 valve heads use a larger spark plug that the 4 valves which helps in those "no plug flow test".
                            Speed Merchant
                            http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                              From a stock head that flows around 80-85 CFM to over 140 CFM! I have run 8.90s with a stock, UNported head with stock valves & just a good valve job. I have also gone 8.40s with a head that flowed 115 CFM. How does that sound for perspective? Ray.
                              What changed in the engine combo other than the head swap?

I've seen things like that happen but with turbo motors. If 35CFM more doesn't make any difference, it's rare.

Comment

Working...
                              X