No announcement yet.

GS1100 Swinger on a 1000 V Stock Steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got a 1100 katana swinging arm in my Gs1085s it makes alot of differance and alot lighter
    than the braced metchmax thing i had in before.

Comment

Originally posted by ozgs View Post
      Can't remember where I read it, but I have read the Mick Hone commented when he was building Robbie Phillis's Forgotten Era GSX1100 that the alloy swingarm was a real problem with flexing. He said that the steel swinger was actually stiffer. The majority of GSX's that you see racing here had tubular bracing added to them.
      any chance you could find that article? I have read most of Mick Hone's comments and havent noticed anything about it, plus what the majority have said here has certainly been a positive indication that the alloy swingarm upgrade is worthwhile.
      Regards,
      Andy
      Queensland Australia

GS750B (1977)
      Wiseco 850 kit, K&N pods, 4-1 transac, Custom 2 pak paint, IKON shocks, Custom L.E.D light boards (turn + stop/tail + dash)

Comment

Originally posted by GS750 View Post
        Awesome! Thats the plan to follow then!

I have access to a magnetic industrial lineboring drill press which I can use to make sure the holes are drilled on the same line as the existing holes Plan sorted! Thanks for the extra info, Im really looking forward to the upgraded rear end!!
        I wonder if there is not an easier way to do this without drilling the frame?
        When I upgraded my GS 1000 XP to take a GSXR 1100 swingarm, I noticed that I could reuse the GS 1000 axle by using the inner part of the axle bearing as it's outside diameter went straight into the outside part of the GSXR bearing
        sigpicJohn Kat
        My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
        GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

any chance you could find that article? I have read most of Mick Hone's comments and havent noticed anything about it, plus what the majority have said here has certainly been a positive indication that the alloy swingarm upgrade is worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
            I wonder if there is not an easier way to do this without drilling the frame?
            When I upgraded my GS 1000 XP to take a GSXR 1100 swingarm, I noticed that I could reuse the GS 1000 axle by using the inner part of the axle bearing as it's outside diameter went straight into the outside part of the GSXR bearing
            Im confused to what you are saying here??

The axle isnt what needs to be altered it is the swingarm pivot bolt or the swingarm pivot mounting in the motorbike's frame.

It is easy to drill it out, I just want to make sure I do it properly, and keep it aligned with the original hole so using a magnetic lineboring drill is the easiest solution, especially as I have access to that drill
            Regards,
            Andy
            Queensland Australia

GS750B (1977)
            Wiseco 850 kit, K&N pods, 4-1 transac, Custom 2 pak paint, IKON shocks, Custom L.E.D light boards (turn + stop/tail + dash)

Comment

Im confused to what you are saying here??

The axle isnt what needs to be altered it is the swingarm pivot bolt or the swingarm pivot mounting in the motorbike's frame.

It is easy to drill it out, I just want to make sure I do it properly, and keep it aligned with the original hole so using a magnetic lineboring drill is the easiest solution, especially as I have access to that drill
              Sorry for the confusion here
              What I'm talking about is the shaft pivot ( part #4 on this diagram http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs1000-1...st/FIG-49.html) not the rear wheel axle.
              In my case the needle bearings on the "shaft pivot" were the same on both models except for the inner race that's adapted to the diameter of the "shaft pivot"
              The idea is to exchange the inner races only without changing the "shaft pivot" thus avoiding to drill the frame.
              I hope it's a little more clear this time?
              sigpicJohn Kat
              My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,

Comment

1000 application different than 750.

1978 GS1000C
                1979 GS1000E
                1980 GS1000E
                2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
                  Sorry for the confusion here
                  What I'm talking about is the shaft pivot ( part #4 on this diagram http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs1000-1...st/FIG-49.html) not the rear wheel axle.
                  In my case the needle bearings on the "shaft pivot" were the same on both models except for the inner race that's adapted to the diameter of the "shaft pivot"
                  The idea is to exchange the inner races only without changing the "shaft pivot" thus avoiding to drill the frame.
                  I hope it's a little more clear this time?
                  Hang on a minute, let me get this clear. Are you saying the bearing pivot spacer from the GS1000 will fit the GS1100 swing arm bearing and allow use of the 14mm pivot shaft from the GS750?
                  I hope this is correct because I have the same issue and I'm really leery about reaming out the frame.
                  -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                    Hang on a minute, let me get this clear. Are you saying the bearing pivot spacer from the GS1000 will fit the GS1100 swing arm bearing and allow use of the 14mm pivot shaft from the GS750?
                    I hope this is correct because I have the same issue and I'm really leery about reaming out the frame.
                    I should have said "allow use of the 14mm pivot shaft from the GS1000?"

Does the GS1000 use a 14mm pivot shaft like the GS750?
                    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

nooo

The 750 pivot is smaller... thus the frame boss is smaller.. You either use some bearings with the same ID as the 750 pivot, and OD of the 1100 swingarm, or you drill the frame to accept the 1100 swinger.

On a 1000, its a direct swap. Im not even sure what he's talking about..

Comment

I'm only saying that it's worth investigating as this trick worked when I upgraded my GS 1000 to a GSXR 1100 swing arm.
                        As I'm travelling currently I can't provide the inner and outer diameters of the GS 1000 pivot spacer.
                        Maybe someone else can step in ?
                        What I know is that the needle bearings for the GS 1000 and the GS 1100 are identical.
                        sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

He's correct but it doesn't work for the 750 the same way.
                          The needle bearings on the 1000/1100 are identical & you use the correct inner bush (the big lump that the bearings roll on & the pivot shaft goes through described above as the inner race which is more correct I would guess) for the size of the pivot shaft (axle).

On the 750 it's a smaller Pivot shaft, I don't think a custom bearing is available but it's possible you might be able to source one to save drilling out the frame...
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Yep, we need a pivot bearing spacer with an OD of 25mm and ID of 14mm.
                            -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

See your bearing supplier for a roller bearing inner race of the right length and with a 25mm OD. It will probably have an ID around 19 - 20 mm.
                              Easy enough to machine up a bush from mild steel with the right ID and press into the bearing inner race.
                              It's only the outer surface of the bearing race which has to be hardened, so long as the ID is a good fit on the pivot bolt all's sweet.

Comment

I would think you could machine a bush to go inside the GS1100 one in the same way to downsize to the correct axle (Pivot shaft) dia... but I've not done this mod on a 750.
                                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                                X