Getting a GS 1000 S to handle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
    Nice work ! Keep us posted on your results. I have not read this thread in a while and cant remember all you have tried to fix the weave. Ive tried numerous avenues with mixed results. None have corrected my weave. My last adventure was with a couple guys on Gixers. We all entered a big sweeping rt hand freeway-on-ramp wheel to wheel to wheel. As we entered the freeway we all accelerated up to triple digits. By the time I thought about shifting to 5th the Bike started to feel loose and the Gixers were long gone...
    Thanks for the support!I understand the frustration...
    The good news is I know there is an answer.
    It's my GS 1000 XP equipped with GSX R 1100 K suspension,wheels and brakes but with an unmodified frame.The unknown is what makes the difference? The fork, the geometry with 17" wheels or the rubber???
    Here's a picture
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
      The unknown is what makes the difference? The fork, the geometry with 17" wheels or the rubber???

All three but the main step up comes from the radial tires (with the wide rims) and stiffer side walls.

With my ED, the suspension ( 88 GSXR 1100 wheels/forks and Bandit swingarm) is good enough that I think the primary limiting factor is now frame flex.

Comment

Just thought I would ask why RaceTech v Progressive?

Comment

Originally posted by HaggisHombre View Post
          Just thought I would ask why RaceTech v Progressive?
          I believe progressive springs are better for street use and while I'm not racing my bike (yet?) I wanted to reduce the amount of variables as much as possible and thus went for a fixed rate.
          Any other opinion?
          sigpicJohn Kat
          My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,

Comment

VERY GOOD NEWS!
            I solved the roadholding issue of my GS 1000ST
            As you may recall from my previous posts, I had changed almost everything on the bike but the weave that developped at high speed only went away when the quarter fairing was taken off
            When I took the bike out yesterday, it reminded me that the front fork was really ****ty.
            On large bumps no problem but all the little ones went straight into my wrists.
            I had also noticed previously that the forks on my GS 1000 EC, on the contrary, would move up and down very fast when the road got rough...
            Bear in mind that I had rebuilt both forks and I saw no reason for a difference between the two sets...except that on the GS 1000 ST I had to change one of the fork legs that was slightly bent.
            As I believe you can't get the OEM legs anymore, I bought a replacement part that interestingly enough doesn't have a "bushing" at the bottom.
            In any case just to make double sure, I swapped the fork legs from one bike to the other today and believe it or not: the WEAVE is GONE!!!!
            As a few members pointed out before, it must be a question of stiction in the forks.
            The lesson to all this is, is that it's difficult to find a fault when you believe you had already eliminated the cause in the first place
            sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Working...
            X