Flex-a-lite 4130 compact oil cooler review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flex-a-lite 4130 compact oil cooler review

I've recently installed this oil cooler after a run of bad luck with coolers. I had a $50 Sertab-style which was short enough, but so thick it ended up dinging my fender.

Next was a $106 Earl's 71006 curved model that had a leak. Word to the wise: Stay away from Auto Parts Dealer.com- they will not warranty parts, even after I called Earls.

I then found the Flex-a-lite 4130 at Summit and they had a free shipping & handling sale, so it was $45.95 shipped.

The cooler works well for me size-wise, as the Sertab style hung down too far and interfered with the tach cable. This was not so much a factor for the Earl's model, but it still rubbed a little.

Since I have a Vetter fairing, it was easy to make a couple of steel brackets and tuck the cooler in between the fairing mount. The brackets go out 90 degrees about .5" then down 1.5". I used some rubber-backed washers to help w/ vibration, but the cooler comes with plastic mounting tabs for each end.

It's not the largest or best I'm sure, but it's a bargain and fits perfectly. Plus the AN6 ends are in great position to hook up to my oil thermostat on the left side of the engine. I had to use 90 degree fittings on the other two coolers.

Today I road tested it and according to my oil temp gauge in 80 degree weather I never saw over 140 degree oil- the thermostat is supposed to open at 180 degrees, so apparently I wasn't going fast enough or riding long enough to heat up the oil enough.

Photobucket is down, so I'll attach one pic for now. I'll update later as I get some miles on it in hotter weather.

My Photobucket pics are up:
    Oil thermostat and AN-6 hoses feeding cooler-

View from left front-

View from right front-

Comment

Working...
    X