Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering Dyna green coils for my 1100..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering Dyna green coils for my 1100..

How much better are the Dyna green coils than stock? How do they compare to a Dyna 2000? Is it worth the upgrade for either?

I pretty much use Dyna green coils on all my bikes - you can replace the wires on them. something that's very difficult to do with the stock coils.

Dyna 2000 is a programable ignition replacement, not sure if they use the green (3 ohm) or lower resistance coils. Kinda expensive I think & not really needed if your ignitor is good.
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

If you are going to build a motor I recommend the Dyna 2000 and green coils.
      The stock ignitions were "just enough" for stock almost thirty years ago. Add a little more air and fuel you will be chasing your tail trying to jet ect.......
      Last edited by chef1366; 05-13-2011, 01:21 AM.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

does the 2000's use the .7 blue coils like the 4000's?

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
          does the 2000's use the .7 blue coils like the 4000's?
          They come with the 2.2 but you can run the 3 green coils.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            They come with the 2.2 but you can run the 3 green coils.
            ohhhhhh,
            well i am wiser now for asking that question.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
              ohhhhhh,
              well i am wiser now for asking that question.
              Money's on that you already knew.

Comment

The Dyna 2000 I just looked at came with the 3.0 mini coils.

Comment

IMHO the 2000 is useful if you need a programmable ignition (you are racing the bike and need adjustability). Otherwise the Dyna S is just dandy. And a lot cheaper.
                  AFA the coils, I have seen claims of "over 30k volts" for the green coils. I have not seen any data on the stock coils. The output voltage is a function of the number of windings inside the coils. My Dyna coils are larger in diameter, which gives them the opportunity to put more windings in, hence higher output voltage, but we really need actual data from the stock coils to tell the difference. I have greens for my GS and Accels for my GPz because the stockers are 28 years old and the windings could be breaking down just due to age and use.

Comment

A set of these will do and look nicer...........

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
                      A set of these will do and look nicer...........

with those same coils, a stock 1100E ignitor and coil(ignition) relay mod I get a very blue spark that will easily extend 1/4"-1/2"

Comment

Pretty sure this is a Dyna coil, sold as the Green Monster coil at Mike's XS/650 Direct. It has a bit of a snap to it.

Comment

whats a good choice if i'm just looking to be pre-emptive about replacing my coils and want something better than the "just enough" of stock...?

Comment

Originally posted by fullmetalone View Post
                            whats a good choice if i'm just looking to be pre-emptive about replacing my coils and want something better than the "just enough" of stock...?
                            3.0 ohm Greenies, or those nice Accel coils. Any aftermarket coil should suffice really, as long as you get the correct ohms for your setup.

Comment

I am using the green coils which I have had for many years & will be using one of these ignition units.

Looks interesting & wasnt expensive. It should allow me to programme the advance curve to compensate for too much compression & the starting probs I used to get.
                              Havent tried it yet as the bike is having total strip & rebuild having been neglected (by me!) since 1997.
                              Anyone got any experience of this stuff?

Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X