Degreeing cams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Degreeing cams

When adjusting cams does anyone know how far to move the degree wheel to get desired movement in cam timing? Example--if your intake cam is at 108 deg and you want it at 105 deg how far do you move the degree wheel after loosening gear? Or is it kind of trial and error/ expierence kind of thing?.

my guess is

(initial angle - desired angle angle) *2

as in you want to move the wheel 6 degrees

(108 - 105) *2 = 6 of crank rotation to to equal 3 degrees of cam rotation
    Last edited by Mekanix; 05-24-2011, 10:11 PM.
    Stephen.
    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
    GS twin wiki

Comment

Try 3 degrees initially on the crank (degree wheel). Just move it a small amount, lock up the cam sprocket, rotate the cam a couple of revolutions and then recheck. Trial and error will get you there.

It is very hard to get the cam timing perfect, if you can get within 1/2 a degree you are doing well. Often when you loosen the two bolts holding the sprocket to the camshaft the cam will move one way or the other from the valve spring pressure exerted on the lobes. So you will have lost your original settings and have to start over again. I clamped each camshaft in place to the head when releasing the two bolts, moved the crank the appropriate amount, retightened the two sprocket bolts and the rechecked to see how far out I was, etc.

But you'll work it out with a bit of patience. As an example I was aiming for 106° on the exhaust and 104° on the intake. I ended up with 107° on the exhaust and 105° on the intake. Nevertheless the bike performs really well. Pulls like a train.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-25-2011, 06:50 PM.

Comment

crank /to/ cam movement ratio is exactly 2-1

example:
        you want to move the cam 2 degrees - turn the crank 4 degrees.
        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

1 more thing about doing this, re-check re-check re-check re-zero the dial and re-check until the numbers come up the same 2 or 3 times.
          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
            1 more thing about doing this, re-check re-check re-check re-zero the dial and re-check until the numbers come up the same 2 or 3 times.
            Only 2 or 3?

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Only 2 or 3?

Yes, only 2 or 3. 5 Is right out!

(Never miss a chance for a Grail quote.)
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

It is the accuracy of this pointer that allows you to converge much faster in getting the angles to repeat after only about 2 times.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Working...
                X