Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ronin1166 View Post
    Nice research, Pos!
    You just saved me quite a bit of sleuthing and math.

I've been waffling between the '86-'87 6-spokers (love the period look, have both 1100 and 750 sets), and the '88 1100 3-spokers (wider, rare as hen's teeth, have a rear but no luck finding the front to match). Pretty sure I'm gonna go the the 6-spoke 1100 rims.

Good luck with the build JohnKat.

I know somebody that will sell some 3 spoke 18" wheels if you are interested. Guy is parting an 88 GSXR 1100 right now; I bought the front axle and speedo drive. You need a Red R to get into the oiler classifieds.

hobbymike

P.S. I already have two spare sets (not counting the ones on my bike)
    Last edited by posplayr; 06-15-2011, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      P.S. I already have two spare sets (not counting the ones on my bike)
      I know...I tried prying a front rim out of your stash a while back...

Appreciate the tip. I'm a member over there, but sans red R at this time.
      Strongly leaning towards the 1st gen 6-spokers.

I've also got a Kosman-widened 6-spoke rear in my pile...NO idea what to do with that thing...

Comment

Originally posted by ronin1166 View Post
        I know...I tried prying a front rim out of your stash a while back...

Appreciate the tip. I'm a member over there, but sans red R at this time.
        Strongly leaning towards the 1st gen 6-spokers.

I've also got a Kosman-widened 6-spoke rear in my pile...NO idea what to do with that thing...

The nice thing about keeping stock forks but going 18" is :
        • 1/2" extra ground (mid belly)clearance (like doing a 4:2;1 which is expensive)
        • 1" (equivalent) extra ride height in rear (like extended length forks which is expensive)
        • 110/80-18 and 160/60-18 Radials (equivalent of the 3 spokers)
        • 320mm rotors with your selection of 4 or 6 pot calipers. (great brakes)

So all in all it is alot cheaper than going GSXR RSU in front.

Comment

The slabside wheels look basically the same as the stock ED wheels. I thought the slabside was the first gen? Where did the 3 spoke come from?

Comment

Originally posted by flaming chainsaws View Post
            the slabside wheels look basically the same as the stock ed wheels. I thought the slabside was the first gen? Where did the 3 spoke come from?
            88 1100 gsxr

Comment

88 1100 gsxr
              Gotcha. I'll keep a lookout. But I wonder if a CBR front end and rims will work? There's a dude parting out a 2006 CBR600rr locally for cheap... Nah. I'll just look for GSXR stuff.

Comment

@ Flaming Chainsaws,
                PM sent.

Comment

The nice thing about keeping stock forks but going 18" is :
                  • 1/2" extra ground (mid belly)clearance (like doing a 4:2;1 which is expensive)
                  • 1" (equivalent) extra ride height in rear (like extended length forks which is expensive)
                  • 110/80-18 and 160/60-18 Radials (equivalent of the 3 spokers)
                  • 320mm rotors with your selection of 4 or 6 pot calipers. (great brakes)

So all in all it is alot cheaper than going GSXR RSU in front.
                  Apparently, there is another combination of forks and wheels that could also work ?
                  You take the GSX R slabside 18" front wheel and you slide it into a GS 1150 front fork ?
                  The axle diameter is the same but the added feature is that the spacing between the tubes is such that you can keep the GSX R discs !
                  Anyone tried this combination ?
                  sigpicJohn Kat
                  My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                  GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Working...
                  X