Heat sink cooler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat sink cooler?

Has anyone tried a heat sink oil cooler on their GS?

What would be the pros or cons of it over a plate or tube & fin cooler?

I was considering getting one but wanted to ask around first. I don't sit in a lot of traffic and not super hot where I live but do run in the 70-90deg range all summer. The stock gauge has climb up around the 300 deg mark before on a hot day sitting at a light but doesn't happen very often. Also don't know how accurate the gauge is.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2011, 09:29 PM.

Originally posted by Jason the terminator View Post
    Has anyone tried a heat sink cooler on their GS?
    Why do you feel that you need to cool your heat sink?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you are trying to cool your oil.

ANY kind of cooler is a "heat sink" cooler, so what specific kind of cooler are you asking about?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well the only fluid to cool on a GS is oil so yes an oil cooler. The kind that is specifically called a heat sink cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason the terminator View Post
        Well the only fluid to cool on a GS is oil so yes an oil cooler. The kind that is specifically called a heat sink cooler.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/132...0002/-1?CT=999
        OK, in your original post, you only said you wanted to cool your heat sink, you said nothing about using a heat sink-type OIL cooler.
        I see that you have now gone back and edited that.

I am not all that much into using oil coolers, but I can't imagine why that type would be any more efficient than the standard tube-and-fin type. Cooling ability is a function of surface area and temperature difference. Since the temperature difference between oil and the surrounding air won't change from one type of cooler to another, you are left with surface area. Lots of smaller tubes with oil going through them will have more surface area than a single large tube, which is what the "heat sink" type appears to be. If it is something more than that, please educate me.

Last edited by Steve; 06-12-2011, 09:51 PM.
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X