Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally "done": 83 GS1100ed with GSXR running gear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally "done": 83 GS1100ed with GSXR running gear.

Hello y'all. Here's my mostly finished bike.

Now I need to hit the fender with one more coat of gloss black, maybe paint the headlight brackets and top triples black, fab a chain guard and perfect the jetting. I have a K&N filter and that Yosh with 117.5 mains and my needles at the 5th clip from the top. I'm still a hair lean on all circuits which led me to think raising the needles from 4 to 5 would do it but my plugs are still a bit too light. I'll try 120s and most likely move the clips to 4.

Specs are '94 gsxr 1100 wheels, 6 piston brakes, forks/triples, Racetech springs, 2008/9 GSXR1000 radial front master cylinder which everyone should upgrade to, Ikon rear shocks for CB1100 (1" longer I believe), Yoshi race exhaust (kind of annoying to change oil! but looks/sounds/feels great), K&N filter, DJ kit which is still being worked out. I powdercoated the wheels/swingarm. The rest is pretty much stock.

This is where it started two years (!) ago:

Also, does anyone know where I could find stiffer springs? These are the stiffest Racetech springs at .95 kg/mm. that I could find. This thing feels great and really handles well but the dive under braking is a bit too quick for my tastes and I'm only 170!

Very nice! I plan on heading that direction as well

Comment

Do you have room to cut the springs? If they are long enough that they will not bind you can stiffen the spring rate by cutting some coils off & replacing the amount cut off with some plastic pipe as solid spacer. I have done this on a couple of bikes including my GS750 with GSXR parts...

Dan

1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Do you have a picture of how you mounted the gauges?

Comment

In my build thread there are pics of the crappy bracket I made. It's 1/4" aluminum that I cut with a jigsaw and welded together to get the step up I needed to get the gauges at the right height. It could be better but works fine. I kept mine bracket flat and then bent the gauge brackets to get the angle back.

Josh

I'll look into cutting those springs. Thanks for the tip. I imagine no more than 2 coils or so? At a time at least?

Comment

looks good; another thing is to switch to a heavier oil perhaps up front.

Those steering stops look a little close (ask me how I know )

And I hope the seat is temporary till you can pick up a Corbin/Saddleman

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              looks good; another thing is to switch to a heavier oil perhaps up front.

Those steering stops look a little close (ask me how I know )

And I hope the seat is temporary till you can pick up a Corbin/Saddleman
              They're close! That's why I had to spring for those $200 (!!!) light brackets from Germany. I originally drilled and tapped the stops to add little screws so the stops actually stopped but these brackets leave plenty (1/4"!) of room now. As for the seat, yes a Sargent cover will be on order shortly. Maybe I should have waited even longer to post it as "done."

As for heavier oil, I think I really like the 15 weight on the road. Bumps are nicely absorbed and the front/rear feel quite balanced. I also have the preload at it's lowest right now so I'm going to move that to the middle setting where it comes stock. I just have to figure out how that happens!

Comment

Nice work.

You mentioned have GSXR wheels. Does that also mean you have GSXR forks and swinger? If not, what did you swap those components with? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ironsheik View Post

I'll look into cutting those springs. Thanks for the tip. I imagine no more than 2 coils or so? At a time at least?
                  I believe on mine I cut off about 2-3", can't remember exactly. When I did the same on a 550 for a 230lb guy I took out the 4" bottom spring.

If they are straight weight you will probably need to remove less coils than if they are progressive wound.

If straight weight you can correlate in percentages - 10% of coils removed is a 10% increase etc I believe.

Just make sure you don't get coil bound. (i.e. the spring has less compression space than you have fork travel).

I told an Aussie about this mod on ADV & he did some more research...

...and the other side...complete with adventure riding fire starting equipment

Looks like a GSXR front end with a stock GS1100 swinger to me....
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

What kind of sprocket is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason the terminator View Post
                      What kind of sprocket is that?
                      It's a Supersprox I believe, bought from Katman. I had no idea how expensive those 520 ERV3 DID chains have gotten! I bought mine for about $115 in 2008 or 9 and now it looks like they're about $200! Sheesh.

Comment

Great looking bike. Looks spot on with the modern running gear.

Comment

Working...
                        X