Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To pod or not to pod?

Hey all,

I just wanted to get a feeler on what to do with my air situation. I currently have a 80 GS850. It currently has no airbox.. so heres my dilemma:

to get pods and re-jet, or to just get find another airbox...

Price for the OEM route:
    Airbox - ~$50-$75
    intake boots $75
    weather stripping - >$10
    Filter - $60
    TOTAL: $180 - $210

Price for dynojet route:
    Stage 3 Kit - $100
    Pod Filters - $30 - $120
    Total: $130 - $220

So budget is my #1 concern, and therefore the dynojet would be awesome. but i've been searching through the forum and i am constantly getting mixed opinions about pods, ie "pods are crap" "pods are a headache" "i love pods!!!"

I would love to just put the pods on without rejetting, but alas, that is not an option (BTW i plan on not changing my exhaust). so what to do?

1. spend the extra coin on an OEM setup?
    2. by the pods + dynojet?

also, will tuning be a really big headache on an 850 with the pods in place?

IMO you would be better off going with the OEM set-up...

The "pods" route will drive you crazy getting the jetting right, and in the end, an 850 "shaft-drive-heavy-weight" is not worth messing with pods. The best overall performance will be with the stock set-up.

I am running pods & 4-1 on my 1100EX and it's been a PITA to get it set-up correctly.

(BTW - you will need intake boots either way)
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I have an 80 850G that I am running pods and a Dyno-Jet kit on and it runs GREAT. DO NOT skimp on the pods---get the K&N's and be done with it. They cost more but the cheap ones do not flow at high RPM.

Comment

I ran my 1000G both ways... The pods & Dynojet kit created a bit more noise, pushed the power up the rev range a bit & didn't do too much else.

All in all I preferred it with stock box with a slightly larger main jet & a washer or two on the needle to raise it up a bit.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

stain, how was tuning after you did the dynojet? are you only running pods on your 850?

Comment

My 83 1100 ran great with a K&N in the air box and a small washer under the needle,and stock pipes.My 750 kat has; pipe/pods /jet kit,set up on a dyno by previous owner, and it runs real strong too. So my answer is, it dedends on weather you've still got the stock exhaust. If so you could probably go either way and not have to play with jetting,just needles and clips.Even with a pipe, the stock air box would, I think, be easier to set up.And, get it dynoed. Huge help in jetting! K&N in the stock airbox is a big improvement all by itself.

Comment

My GK have a dynojet jetkit, k&n pods and a 4into 1.
              I have put them because i already have this stuff.
              If you want to go with OEM just post a thread in the WTB section.You will surrely find an airbox assembly cheap.
              Marc
              AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
              1978 GS1000C X2
              1978 GS1000E X2
              1979 GS1000S
              1979 gs1000
              1983 gs400e

Comment

fifty 8--V&H 4 1 also

Comment

Originally posted by stain View Post
                  fifty 8--V&H 4 1 also
                  Yes, IMHO it depends on your exhaust. If you already have a pipe, I'd go APE or K&N pods and a DynoJet stage 3 kit. If you have OEM exhaust and intend to stay that way, I'd go back to stock intake as well.
                  I rode an excellent 850G a bit ago, and it really liked to rev. A properly jetted 850 with pods and a pipe should really be nice in the upper RPM range.
                  AFA jetting, I have a similar setup on my GPz (the engines are quite similar); pods, pipe & jet kit. Out of the box the jetting was almost spot on (using DynoJet's recommended settings and jets).

Comment

V&H 4 into 1
                    K&N pods
                    Dynojet stage III kit

I much prefer my bike this way vs stock.

Comment

In your case, I would be tempted to go pods. I know I could click the square and have the parts next week. Sourcing the used parts is not quite so easy, and sometimes there are unfortunate surprizes. You need the snorkle too, and those are not too easy to find in my experience.

On a G, it takes no more than a couple minutes to remove the airbox, so maintenance isn't much of an issue either way. A number of folks here could help you jet it I'm sure.

I could really see changing to pods on the bikes where Suzuki put the filter over the battery even more. I hate to have to remove things to access what really should be easily accessable. On a G the air box is easy to deal with.
                      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Pods and jetting is an art form. Many dont have what it takes.
                        sigpic

82 GS850
                        78 GS1000
                        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                        .................________-|___\____
                        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

1980 850 guys! No question about it - standard airbox. You're not building a hot-rod (else why an 850) and if you've had to ask the question then you know you're gonna struggle tuning the carbs in.
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer
                          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

No experience here but I've read enough woeful tales on jetting for pods that I know it isn't easy. I know I don't have 'it'. I tend to agree if pipes remain stock take the trouble and go with an air box. I would guess it's more trouble free in the long run, and likely better protected from the elements if you ride when it's NOT gonna be a bright sunshiny day. However if using a 4-1 I'd be tempted to go with pods too and just develop 'it'.
                            "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

cool thanks a lot for all the input! looks like im gonna go the OEM route just because im a little skeptical and lazy to tune the carbs once the jetting is done. Also i just wanna get the bike up and running ASAP!

Comment

Working...
                              X