Loud horn !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loud horn !

Has anyone ever installed one of these ? Yesterday on the freeway, a car in the right lane slightly ahead of me, shoulder checked and then pulled into my lane narrowly missing my front wheel. I hit the horn and shook my fist. But the polite beep beep of my Suzuki horn was not truly expressing my feelings. I think this one might.
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Don't have one on any of my bikes, but I have seen some mounted before.

They are LOUD, and they are shrill.

Yes, they do get attention, but they won't push anyone back into their lane.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ear cannon is a serious name.

So... It's even louder than FIAMM's freeway blaster? I guess you could try it out.

Post a video once it's installed!

Comment

I guess I was venting. I wouldn't install one on its own, without keeping the friendly Suzuki beep, to tell someone the light has changed. On the other hand, it would be nice to express my displeasure by scaring the living crap out of a thoughtless driver !!
        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
        1983 GS 750

Comment

Heavy, ugly, lousy mounting system, hard to install in a tidy manner and short lived. But they are loud.

The Fiamm Freeway Blasters are plenty loud as well. I have both types.

The air horn is taking up space in the trunk of my car. I might install it in my Focus.

On second thought, I have better things to do, like nothing...

Go to your local boneyard and get a couple of old car horns and a $3 relay and Bob's yer uncle.

On second thought, tally up the times you actually use your horn, and don't bother. I installed the originals on my GS1100 after cleaning and adjusting them, and they are actually pretty loud for stock horns. Like I said though, I maybe used them 3 times in 4 years of riding it, mostly to alert drivers that the light had changed.

Comment

I bought a set of horns from Z1, they look nice with chrome etc and they are quite loud compared to my stock horns

Comment

I've picked up a set from Canadian Tire, $25 a piece. I think the decibels are 115 if I remember right, farrrrrr louder than the 105 stock horns and they look almost stock, well fairly stock anyways. Cheap insurance and the cars sure hear those two sound off.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

FWIW, you can get that air horn at Princess Auto for under $30. It's a Wolo Bad Boy in that incarnation.

Comment

This is my Stebel Nautilus air horn I put on my SV, $40 and super easy to install.

Testing out the newly installed Stebel Nautilus air horn on my 2005 Suzuki SV650N. It's rated at 138 decibels, this video does not do the noise it creates ju...

Comment

Yeah after I looked around the Stebel seemed the best. According to other riders. Glad to see I'm not the only rider who wants to send a message.
                    Last edited by bccap; 08-29-2011, 12:20 AM.
                    1983 GS 750

Comment

Go to a junkyard and get some of the small Japanese car horns.
                      They will be plenty loud and more importantly the sound is synonymous with a small car or motorbike.

It is an audible clue as to tell the drive to guard against a small vehicle rather than ignore a very large trumpet horn.

A blast from too loud a horn will get a quick response and an equally quick dismissal of the noise as the driver notes there is no danger from a car.

Think of it as ignoring a horn after a cursory check and assuming the horn blast was a form of rude expression instead of a real danger warning.

Junkyard horns are dirt cheap. Do a relay to prevent harness damage and things will change.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger P. View Post
                        Go to your local boneyard and get a couple of old car horns and a $3 relay and Bob's yer uncle.
                        For someone like me - who is completely "electrically-challenged", is it preferrable to splice into the existing harness with the relay, or is that to get the stock horn button to work the horn for convenience? Could you just mount an old fashioned button (with a relay) on the handlebar?
                        Last edited by gs scott; 08-29-2011, 02:45 AM.
                        Scott
                        1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
                        1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
                        1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
                        2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
                        sigpic

Comment

(In the diagram, substitute the words Horn Button for Ignition Switch)

You take the leads from the stock horn and attach them to the relay contacts that actuate the relay itself (#85 and #86). Then you run a lead (with a fuse) from the + side of the battery to the normally open contact of the relay (#30), then run a feed wire from the other side of the normally open contact (87) to the + side of the horn. See the diagram below. Some bikes use the OEM handlebar switch to ground the circuit, others use the switch to send power to the horn. On my 1100, there were two wires, one + one -. On some bikes, there is only one wire to the horn, and it is grounded through the mounting bolt. If you have two wires to your horn, they go to contact 85 and 86 to actuate the relay. The horn power draw goes through contacts 30 and 87. If you use powerful horns with the stock switch you will burn the contacts with the heavy arc created by the high current. The relay is made to take the abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                            Go to a junkyard and get some of the small Japanese car horns.
                            They will be plenty loud and more importantly the sound is synonymous with a small car or motorbike.

It is an audible clue as to tell the drive to guard against a small vehicle rather than ignore a very large trumpet horn.

A blast from too loud a horn will get a quick response and an equally quick dismissal of the noise as the driver notes there is no danger from a car.

Think of it as ignoring a horn after a cursory check and assuming the horn blast was a form of rude expression instead of a real danger warning.

Junkyard horns are dirt cheap. Do a relay to prevent harness damage and things will change.
                            I strongly disagree.

If they are going to dismiss the loud horn they will also dismiss the less loud one for sure.

The louder horn has two advantages:
                            It will cut through loud music, traffic noise, or a well insulated car better.

It has a psychological intimidating/startle effect.

I have direct experience with the effectiveness of these horns vs japanese car horns.
                            I have a wolo bad boy (the same horn as this thread) on my GS 650 motorcycle and my corolla. I also recently inherited my wifes camry when she got a minivan, it has the stock horn. The stock horn is ignored MUCH more often than the air-horn on the corolla, despite the corolla being a smaller car.

The air horn on the motorcycle is VERY effective.

If you pay attention you can often tell when a driver is considering a risky move, they make small precommitment motions (start drifting over or forward before a gap actually opens)
                            A blast on the horn usually makes them to reconsider.

And of course for the driver that just doesn't see you.

Will an airhorn magically clear a path for you ... of course not.

Will an airhorn increase your odds more than any other horn you can put on the bike ... I'm absolutely convinced by personal experience that: yes it will, sometimes dramatically .

Comment

Don't forget that weak stock horns can sometimes be brought back to life by twiddling the small adjustment screw. Just work slowly, running the horn while you adjust, or you risk going too far in one direction and halting oscillation. Not a catastrophe, as you can usually get it going again, but it's easier to do while running.

Comment

Working...
                              X