Help with a airbox removal on a 85 GS550ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with a airbox removal on a 85 GS550ES

I have searched and read all of the previous posts on this forum concerning airbox removals but unfortunately none dealt with the GS550ES, the airbox is formed around the frame so the carbs aren't in the way but I can't seem to be able to wiggle this thing out, any suggestions except a Saws all would be appreciated.
    I am trying to remove the top bolt of the rear shock and it is difficult to reach and on "really" tight.If I can't remove the box I will have to go the removal of the swingarm route like the manual says and that would suck.

Thanks
    Neal

If you remove the large chrome plated bolts this should allow the whole shock Assembly and the everything to drop down and back.

Parts 21 on the fiche.

Have the rear wheel off when you do this.
    You should be able to do carb removal without taking off the airbox you just have to wiggle and deal with frustration.

Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2011, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Help with Airbox removal

Hi, thanks for the quick answer,

If you remove the large chrome plated bolts this should allow the whole shock Assembly and the everything to drop down and back.

what # is the "large Chrome bolts" on the diagram ?

Comment

Originally posted by gsxrlvr View Post
        Hi, thanks for the quick answer,

what # is the "large Chrome bolts" on the diagram ?
        Part 21
        there is one on Each side. They are very short as the must clear the shock assembly.
        You will also have to remove the inner fender.

Comment

Thanks, to be clear (in my head ...lol), removing those two bolts will let the shock and all the linkage to drop out of the bike so then I could remove/replace the shock. just the rear wheel needs to be off not the swingarm too ?

I REALLY appreciate your responses and help !

Neal

Comment

Digging out an old thread here, JR.

Whilst working on a petcock replacement, I had to manipulate the carbs a bit, thus popping them out of the airbox boots. Is it even possible to get them back into place without sliding the airbox back?

CAN one slide the airbox back or does the frame cross-member prohibit that?
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I am going to say no.
              Its been a while since I did the carb re-install thing but I am sure you need to move the airbox back to be able to better manipulate the boots and carbs.

Sorry but as a bonus you can clean and lube all of your shock linkage and it will last another 30 years.

Comment

I had a few minutes to myself in the garage when I got home, so foserr sh!ts and g!ggles I decided to try moving the airbox back according to the service manual instructions. Turns out you can get 3/4" - 1" of backwards movement, which looks like it will be just enough to flip the boots back down and around the bottom of the carb throat. I certainly don't think it's going to be a piece of cake like I find the 650, but it should be doable.
                '83 GS650G

Comment

We've gotten a bit off the OP's topic, but to wrap things up, if one removes the battery box (after taking off the ignitor, fusebox, and flasher) there is plenty of room to move the airbox back out of the way of the carburetors.
                  '83 GS650G

Comment

Working...
                  X