do i need a new throttle cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do i need a new throttle cable?

I just put clubman bars on my 1977 gs550 and now the throttle sticks. The cables run under my gas tank and I can't see where they go (this is my first bike so please excuse my ignorance). Anyway, could I just readjust the cable to make the throttle work the way it's supposed to, or do i need to buy a shorter cable? If so, what size would I need? Something from a smaller bike? The bars were installed upside down so they're lower than my factory bars, but no where near as radical as if they were installed the proper way. Thanks for your time and help! - Adam

Your throttle is sticking because the handlebars you put on are much lower and shorter. Now you have excess length of cable and it is getting pinched somewhere. You will need to remove the tank and try to re-route the cable so it no longer has any sharp turns to cause it to bind. Or to do in correctly you would need to get a new cable in the appropriate length. Please be careful, many bad things can happen when the throttle sticks on a bike. Especially on your first bike.

Oh, it wouldn't hurt to lube the cable either.

Comment

MAKE SURE you adjust the two adjuster nuts on the throttle cable BEFORE riding!!!

Because if you have too much tension on the throttle cable it will cause your RPM's to jump!

I learned this the hard way and crashed my bike....

To test your throttle cable routing setup, start the bike up, put it in Neutral, and Swing the handle bars back and forth, make sure you spend a few minutes maxing out your turning radius. If your RPM's rise, it means you need to play with the 2 adjuster nuts on the throttle cable until there's enough slack In the cable.

Comment

Working...
      X