Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dilemna... 85 gs 700. quick fix or make it a 750?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dilemna... 85 gs 700. quick fix or make it a 750?

bought the bike a few months ago at auction for $200. rode it for a while then the motor went. bike has 60k on the odo. I knew it needed some new rings at the very least and maybe a fresh lap on the valves. So prior to the grenade I bought a good low mileage cylinder with pistons and rings. The motor anticipated it and dropped an intake valve on #3. when I pulled the head off there was a hole thru the #3 piston. and I still rode the 10 miles home in the rain.
    funny thing I noticed was that every piston showed blatant evidence of valve contact on all intake valves. which indicates to me that someone had the intake cam out and didn't put it back in right.
    now for my dilemna. I'm gonna buy a fresh used head on ebay. there are a few choices. but there is some minor damage to the #3 small rod end from hammering on a broken valve.
    option 1. leave the bottom end alone, slap the top end back together with good used parts and ride it till it blows up again.
    #2 pull the bottom end and replace that rod with a good used one so that all the rods will be good.
    #3 buy a crank and rods from an 83 or newer 750 and put the motor back to what it was supposed to be. Then down the road I could easily redo the top end with a big bore kit.
    what say you. keep it simple and cheap and ride it till it breaks. its a disposable bike, or build it up. Keep in mind that if I build it up, I'll have to go through the suspension and a few other things on it.
    oh and soon to clear for auction is an 82 gs 1100.
    I'm leaning torwards taking the bike back to a 750 with the crank and rods but running the 700 cams. I just don't know what to do. its supposed to be a commuter bike...

Just so happens I'm about to junk 3 83 GS 750 engines up here.Can give you all the bits you need if you want them.Note shipping is from Canada.Would probably need 2 packages to be under the 66lbs weight limit to,PM me.

Comment

If you want 750 bits you have to ask soon.Got to go!

Comment

Working...
      X