Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing an 1100G engine into an 850G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing an 1100G engine into an 850G?

I'm looking for a low-cost 1100G or GK for when my ST1100 sells, and not having much luck. I see a lot of 850s for sale, often they have a Windjammer on them.

I've been doing some reading here. It appears the frame is the same. I have not found where anyone has done this particular engine swap, just where the top end was swapped around. I'd prefer to find an engine and final drive and just swap them, but I suppose the 850 could be built up.

Any opinions on the feasibility of this project?

No personal experience on this but have read several threads on this exact topic. My understanding is the larger engine bolts right into the 850 frame but you need the 1100 driveshaft and maybe swingarm too.

Bwinger might be a good person to PM on details.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

for what it's worth, i put a '78 1000 motor into an '81 850 frame, mounts didn't fit perfectly. fronts were easy enough to drill out, rear needed to be fabricated. motor fit nice and snug in there though!

Comment

Originally posted by slaveforthewave View Post
        for what it's worth, i put a '78 1000 motor into an '81 850 frame, mounts didn't fit perfectly. fronts were easy enough to drill out, rear needed to be fabricated. motor fit nice and snug in there though!
        Are you sure about the years? A '78 1000 would have been chain drive and the '81 850 a shaftie.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I would be curious too on the shaftie/chain frame thing. I am looking for a 1000 frame, to start a fun build. I have found a bunch of "G" frames ... shaft drive. The swingarm mount point on the G frame is different, from what I can see. My mind says there is more to it than swapping parts ... I may/probably am wrong.

The engine may go right in ... but may be the easy part .... dunno ....

If it is a swap parts deal ... shaftie parts are cheap,cheap on Ebay. Swingarms, etc.

Jason

Comment

Thanks for the tips & info. I found an older thread here where a 1000G was a direct-fit into an 850 and was a 1.5 day job. I know the electronics changed from 81 to 82 (1000 to 1100), so if I get an 82+ 850 perhaps they will be the same. Still have some more research to do, but I may have a low $ candidate bike within tow-home range.

It seems like the 850s are far more plentiful than the 1100G models, probably due to more years of production and a lower price when new. I was set to buy one in '81 when I got my first 1000G (it had been ordered and the buyer canceled)- the dealer made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Comment

A far better solution is to keep the ST and do the GS project. Two bikes are always better.

Norm

Comment

I think two would be OK, but right now with the Sabre I have 2.5, and am pushing the envelope with the other half of the bike acquisition committee.

The ST is an incredibly smooth bike for all the miles it has on it, but then again it has all new tires & bearings.

Comment

My understanding is that the 1000G and 850G engines can be interchangeable on their frames, but I'm not sure about the 1100G. I had an 1100L and that engine was very different than my 1000G.
                  Current Bikes:
                  2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

The '80 and '81 GS850G and GS1000G share a frame with the same part number.

The '82 and '83 GS850G and GS1100G share a frame with the same part number, but it's different than the '80/'81 frame.

I, too, have heard that you need to change the driveshaft along with the engine, but have not experienced it personally.

You will probably need the motor mounts that go with the engine, as they are not quite the same, but will bolt to the same frame.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This may be a moot point- the seller on the 850 that was close never called back. I see where the '79 models still had the kick starter. That would be cool to keep the lower end and add in the 1100 top end. I love sleepers.

Comment

They have different size wrist pins. 16mm vs. 18mm.
                        I talked to the tech guy at Wiseco and he said that they could do the 16mm wrist pin holes and clips in the over-bore pistons for an 1100 for the same price in the 1100 over-bore kit.

Now, you all know about my 1100 kick start project.

Daniel

Comment

It will fit , but some of the 1100 shaft motors have different rubber mounted motor mounts. It is do able

Comment

Working...
                          X