How to make a manual cam shain tensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make a manual cam shain tensioner

Hello I am trying to figure out how to make a manual cam chain tensioner using the stock one. Dansofield550 made a really nice looking one. I am cautious as I dont want to make any mistakes that would ruin the part.

Originally posted by ashdricky View Post
    Hello I am trying to figure out how to make a manual cam chain tensioner using the stock one. Dansofield550 made a really nice looking one. I am cautious as I dont want to make any mistakes that would ruin the part.
    Someone has a post on that somewhere. I seem to remember it basically consisting of some all-thread, and some jam nuts.. But if your tensioner is a two bolt type, measure the distance and check the orientation of the bolts..if the same as most of all the other two bolt GS tensioners, one of te aftermarket jobs will work. I'd have to see a pic to know which yours has.

Keep in mind that a properly functioning stock automatic tensioner is no less effective than a manual one for everyday purposes..and with a manual one you need to be sure you understand how tight is tight enough.

Comment

hello again!,

i gave a brief run down with some pictures in a previous post, the long and short of it is fairly simple, i cut the large part of the tensioner off, the hole that took the original shaft to tension the slide was drilled out and i taped this out to 12mm x 1mm pitch, i only did this size as the housing has a cast iron insert in for the original plunger to run in , much bigger that 12x1(eg course threads) will see the insert fall to bits,

then i made a new shaft with a foot at the end to press on the plastic cam chain slide, i put a thread on and made a locking nut to suit, the outer part of the housing that screws on the cylinder block needs sealing to stop oil getting out around the thread, so i cut a shallow o ring groove in the face to trapped by the lock nut ,

thats it !

Comment

Did you use your lathe to make your new shaft?

Comment

Working...
        X