Gasoline Canteen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gasoline Canteen

Not quite sure which forum to ask this on.

I am looking to carry some spare gas on long trips in case I misjudge a fuel stop. I have found standard one gallon gas containers awkward to pack. CheaperThanDirt catalogue has 1 quart, high-impact plastic canteens for $1.97. A couple of those would give me an emergency half gallon and could be easily fit somewhere on a loaded bike. I intend to punch a small hole in the cap to serve as a vent.

My concern would be if there is any important difference between the plastic used to make canteens and the plastic used to make gasoline containers. Could anything leach out into the gasoline that would not be good to run through my carbs?

I know we have some chemistry savants out there.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

You can go down to your yocal camping shop and buy 1 quart aluminum flasks ment to carry gasoline and any other camp fuel. Prices start at about 13$CDN each but do not need to be vented as they have a fill line. Simply hang them by their caps from wherever you want. Otherwise you could buy a ~1 gal steel lawn mower tank from a GX120, 140, 160 honda motor on ebay for 2$US. Those are quite strong, I've used them as a step all summer and all that happens in the top flattens down a little. I'm trying to get a 3 gallon generator tank that's 19x14x4" right now. It will be mounted in my tail rack.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

The main concern with non-gas certified plastic is that it will degrade and fail. The bottles may leak after a while.

Comment

I also think that they could blow up from static electricity when pouring (albeit they are fairly small so little static electricity would build up from the flow of fuel). Filtering with a shammy cloth has good odds in blowing you up. You couldn't even be allowed to fill the container up at a gas station as it doesn't come in red or have any safety registry #s on it.

I've read a report on using dromitory bags (spelling is way off...it's a collapsible water bag) to hold gas. A guy filled one up and left it in his bathroom for 4 months. He said it smelled like gas the entire time (he lost more than 10% of fuel due to evaporation) and the cap welded itself on. It's kind of funny because you can buy roll-up gas tanks for emergency use.

The aluminum canteens are the way to go if you need a bit of a reserve (say 16km/canteen). Plus you can bring booze over the border with them if you pass it off as stove alcohol.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
          I also think that they could blow up from static electricity when pouring (albeit they are fairly small so little static electricity would build up from the flow of fuel).

Steve
          Why would the plastic canteen be any different from the plastic gas containers with regard to static electricity?

I had not thought of the camp fuel containers. I will go by a sporting goods store and see what they have to offer. I think I would feel safer with something designed to hold combustible liquids.

I thought of the degrading factor, but whatever I use it would only have to serve for a few days at a time. I don't take many long trips, unfortunately. At $1.97 apiece I could even afford to use them once and throw them away.

Thanks for the input.

Nature bats last.

Comment

I can't really explain the static friction part too well as I learned about it in grade 7. I guess you could look up Mr. Kember of Kenora if you want.

Basically, different materials rubbed together exchange electrons. Like cat fur rubbed with an ebonite rod or human hair on a balloon. There is a chart somewhere that will give you the exchange ability for just about anything.

I don't think it will be a problem but I thought it would be irresponsible not to warn you. Shammys on the other hand are dangerous for use as a filter.

Steve

Comment

Steve, I'm hip to static electricity, and the need to ground, etc. My comment was because the red gas "cans" I buy in the auto section are also made of hard plastic and would, I assume, have the same conductive properties as a hard plastic canteen.

I carried one of those one gallon plastic gas containers on my trip to Las Vegas a couple of months ago. On the way back it saved my butt south of Amarillo in the wee a.m. hours. I had no idea an Interstate highway could be so desolate.

Nature bats last.

Comment

This is a good idea Don. I am going to look into this tonight. I have an older metal canteen. I also have K&N pods now so I have that large void compartment under me seat that could hold items I usualy store in the back on rides leaving room to put the canteen on the backrack.

Thanks for the idea.

Comment

Different blends of material have different properties. If you talk to a gas fitter he'll tell you there are certain types of synthetics that he can not wear while working. Believe it or not it is safer to smoke while fixing a gas leak than it is to walk in synthetic clothing.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                    This is a good idea Don. I am going to look into this tonight. I have an older metal canteen. I also have K&N pods now so I have that large void compartment under me seat that could hold items I usualy store in the back on rides leaving room to put the canteen on the backrack.

Thanks for the idea.
                    I just flashed on this earlier this evening. If you or anyone else does try this with an old canteen or other container, make certain that you have some kind of a vent. Canteens would not have one normally; get out your drill. Otherwise you could end up with Suzuki Flammbe.

Nature bats last.

Comment

Newer Army canteens have an air valve in the cap. This is so they can be connected to the drinking tube from a gas mask in case of prolonged exposure to a contaminated environment.

I wouldn't trust the plastic canteen for storing fuel (in light of the posts above), but the cap itself should fit on older metal military canteens. The vent itself isn't automatic - it would have to be purged manually, but you might be able to use it as a starting point to work up a self-venting canteen.

-Q!

Comment

I don't understand the need of the vent. As long as you don't exceed around 80% of the volume with fuel you should be okay. You won't get any gas splashed on you since the expanded gas won't outgrow the 20% extra area. The reason real gas cans make a mess when you don't use the vent is because the spout in the gas acts like a funnel because of its seal on the gas can.

Steve

Comment

Just get an MSR fuel bottle. They are made for carrying fuel in your backpack and they are nice and strong as well as being fairly cheap

Comment

Nice gasoline canteen...

Comment

Don (or should I say, Graham)

while at the PNW Rally, a non-member (Tim) showed up on his Honda Frankenbike. One of his customizations was to lash two, 1 1/2L fuel bottles (MSR type) onto (under) his luggage rack, got them right out of the way. They take a beating, and are easy to pour from. They would not be easy to fill at a gas station. How far would 3L get you? That'd be about 32 miles on my 650.
                              Last edited by BigD_83; 06-22-2015, 06:38 PM.
                              '83 GS650G
                              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
                              X