Front end and wheel options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front end and wheel options?

I've got a 78 GS1000 and want to put a better front end with dual discs, and a radial front tire/wheel. Has anybody done this? What are good sources, someone said a 88/89 GSXR bu didn't mention displacement.
    Please mention model, year and disolacement when replying.

GSXR 750 is popular, maybe because it is cheaper than newer models.
    You have to transplant the complete front end, wheel, forks, triple trees & stem.
    Or you could go the whole hog & fit upside down forks......

Comment

Paul tell more about going whole hog on the upside down forks? What year and cc GSXR would work that has an upside down fork?

Comment

Off the subject...but I just visited San Francisco over new years... We went to alcatraz and pier 39 and saw the sea lions.....that was an awesome day...what a cool experience to see Alcatraz!

Comment

Paul tell more about going whole hog on the upside down forks? What year and cc GSXR would work that has an upside down fork?
          Just a disclaimer, I have not done this myself (yet, anyway). I am going from info in other topics here on the forum. Search for tire or front tire and you should find lots of topics.

Late 80's - early 90's GSXR 750's and 1100's had USD forks that will bolt straight up to the GS steering head. The 1100 forks are longer and are the preferred ones, as they are all shorter than the stock GS forks. As well, the 17" tire is over 1" smaller rolling radius, so the front end drops significantly when you do this. Stability does not seem to be an issue, though. Probably because the GS's have such conservative rake/trail numbers compared to current sport bikes that reducing things a bit is no problem. Ground clearance can be a problem, though, especially with a 4-1 pipe that runs directly under the engine. You will have to be careful around speed bumps and serious potholes or you can trash the pipe. Longer than stock shocks can gain some of the clearance back (and speed up steering a bit more), but it will still be lower than stock.

You want to find a complete front end with forks, triples, wheel, axle, brakes and clip-ons to minimize problems finding bits and pieces later. I think you can just screw in your speedo cable to the new 17" wheel, but no guarantees on that. Maybe someone else can confirm/deny this.

For an amazing ride, have the forks rebuilt by a suspension shop with new springs and valving to suit your combined bike/rider weight . Combined with the sticky 17" rubber and monster brakes you won't believe it is the same bike.

Of course, once you have done this to the front, you will want to add a wide 17" wheel out back to match and new shocks and more power and and...

Mark

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input and info. I've done some more research and wanted to list it here for anyone else's benefit.

In consideration of a complete front end swap:

GSXR Front ends are longer on the 1100cc variety that the 750cc.

GSXR 1100 85-87 Front wheel might be a good fit
            it's 18" by 2.75"
            GSXR 1100 85-86 Rear Wheel might be a good fit
            it's 18" by 4"

other specs can be found at http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/ look for wheel info in the 7/11 section, then the technical reference section.

If anyone has done a front end swap and wants to share their knowledge I'd like to here from you as well.

My plan thus far is to acquire an 86-87 GSXR Front end with dual disc, (I got a single now) from stem to fender to calipers to wheel, as complete as possible. And a rear wheel from an 85-86 GSXR 1100. And buy new rubber. Hopefully this will allow a 120 front and a 140-150 rear. I have already a gs1150 swing arm and I think 150 is probably the max size.

Comment

Have a look HEREand see what Swanny is up too.

What I did to my 1150 is HERESome work that Adam did to his 1150 is there as well.

My bike has a 89 GSXR 1100 front end on it . Ground clearance doesn't seem to be a problem until I put it on it's side stand it sits almost straight up at times. As far as the spedo, I put a GSXR ones on.

Here is a picture and there are more on my web sit if your interested.

Comment

Ok? I have read through a whole lot of stuff concerning this wheel/frontend/swingarm swapping. My one and lonly question at this point is: Will all of this information pertain in anyway to the GS750 as far as the front end and being able to put a 4.5" rear wheel in the stock swingarm? I understand about all the fitting and what years to look for and everything, but does it pertain to the older 750 version as well as the 1000 and 1100 versions.

Just curious, thanks,

Comment

Catbird, front end yes!!! rear wheel ! dont know, might be time to grab a tape measure and see for yourself if there is sufficient room between the swingarm legs.
                  Dink

Comment

Originally posted by catbird
                    Will all of this information pertain in anyway to the GS750 as far as the front end and being able to put a 4.5" rear wheel in the stock swingarm?
                    What year 750? The axle size is the biggest determining factor in deciding what parts you need to make the 4.5" rear work. I did it on my '85 700. The pre '83 750s and most of the liter class GS bikes used the same size rear axle as the GSXR. Guys using 5.5" GSXR wheels from the early '90s are able to use the stock GS sprocket carrier. The first thing you need to do is get the wheel you want to use then see how your axle fits the bearings. If the axle is the same size use GSXR caliper hanger and caliper with a GSXR right side spacer. If the axle is smaller than the wheel bearings use Katana 600 components and swap out bearings.

Comment

I'm sure it would increase the cost considerably Has any one thought about having custom made fork tubes in the proper length

Comment

Has any one thought about having custom made fork tubes in the proper length
                        For conventional forks, Forking By Frank will make new inner tubes in pretty much any length you like. It is not that easy, though. Cartridge forks (like the GSXR forks we are discussing) have the rebound adjustment on the fork cap and it has a rod that runs down to the rebound piston inside the fork. This rod needs to be changed to work, as well. Not insurmountable, but more hassle. There may be more internal changes I am not aware of, too.

For USD forks, I do not know if it is reasonable to lengthen them with new inner tubes or not. New outer tubes would be prohibitively expensive to make, unless cost is no object at all.

It is possible to internally lengthen most cartridge forks by changing the top out spring, but the most you can safely gain is about 10mm.

If you really want good conventional forks in the proper length, you need to look at something like ZRX1100/1200 forks or maybe the Z1000. The Bandit has long enough forks, but they are not adjustable and if you are going to the trouble of putting new forks on, they might as well be as good as possible.

For all thinking of using new sport bike forks, be aware that they are way shorter than the GS forks - on the order of 4" shorter. I have a set of 99 GSXR 600 forks in my basement and they are 28.5" from axle center to the end of the tube when fully extended. The stock GS1100 forks are about 32.5" long from what I have seen and heard. My 97 ZX-9 USD forks are about 31.5" long, which is pretty close to the GS ones, but I doubt that the Kawasaki stem and triples will fit directly into the GS head.

Mark

Comment

i have put a front end out of gsxr 1100m in my gsx1100et 1981. it goes streight in the bearings are the same, its dead easy. had my top fork nuts extended 2 inches to over come ground clearance, also back wheel in , that was a little bit more of a pain but got there in the end.

Comment

gxs600 f

i have a gs1000 e i put a 600 slingshot front end on it fits perfectly and keeps the look of the bike done the same with the back had to grind out the mounts on the inside of the frame so the arm could fit . just need to sort out the shock mounting . it a much cheaper option than usd forks and theres no problem with ride height 17inch front and back. also the steering blocks dont let the forks hit the tank the forks are only an inch or two shorter than gsx1100e forks that where on it .

Comment

Working...
                            X