Advice on side covers/airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on side covers/airbox

Okay here is the scoop. I am missing a Left side cover and the right one is in bad condition. Do I remove the stock airbox and replace with pod airfilters. Then I can mount the cdi, blinker, voltage regulator, starter relay etc under the seat and fabricate some side covers that get welded/bolted on. Or do I try to find side covers and go with that? I want the bike to look custom. How hard is it to rejet? Thanks guys!

Originally posted by bakirkwold View Post
    Okay here is the scoop. I am missing a Left side cover and the right one is in bad condition. Do I remove the stock airbox and replace with pod airfilters. Then I can mount the cdi, blinker, voltage regulator, starter relay etc under the seat and fabricate some side covers that get welded/bolted on. Or do I try to find side covers and go with that? I want the bike to look custom. How hard is it to rejet? Thanks guys!
    Isn't all that stuff under seat now? rejetting requires patience-how ambitious are you? For $50 off ebay, you could get a set of decent side covers, then paint them and tank ,and have custom look.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

parts, buy or make?

custom side covers is a very cool way to make your bike different than any other bike you will come across. Setting up a matching bikini fairing and side covers would be a totally cool thing.

Mock up your cover with card board and tape,(making a positive pattern) it's the cheapest material to use and making changes is easy as cutting thick paper.

toughest question is sheet metal or fiberglass. You have ot answer the question to buy a used side cover or make a set. maybe do both and keep all your options open.

Jetting is NOT EASY.
      SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

While rejetting for pods/pipe is not child's play, it is fairly straightforward and there is a lot of support here. IIRC BassCliff has a link on his site.

Comment

Working...
        X