Duel disc's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duel disc's

Have any of you guys ever converted a spoke single disc front wheel to duel disc's? I've seen pic's of both setups and i want to do this to my 77 GS750. I have a 79 750 too (for parts) and i have often wondered if i could take the duel's off of it and put them on mine but the fact that it has mags makes me think it aint gonna work.

Jon

Yes, I have ...

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TgDYAnAXK6RiJhSLvo04Foh1ogzQynFyokPgpdSQRNOHJvxqU d5lcQw!GkPsgQIMHJNiu*sgZBwUQW35yNRNY5cXtH5H62UJ89w gwyMUY8fcTvCU4rTGdA/cafegs750_2.jpg?dc=4675455003407936975[/img]

Comment

It works just fine - If your 79 has dual discs, your set. You will have to purchase some shorter bolts for mounting the discs to the wire wheel - the holes in the hub on the wire wheel are not quite as deep as those on the mags. You'll also have to use the fork legs (or the entire fork set-up) to have both of the caliper mounts. 8)

Comment

And make sure you use the master cylinder that's meant to supply the dual disc set up. The master that supplies the single disc does not move as much fluid. It has a smaller bore.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

The master cylinder off the single disk models used to be a modification to improve the power from the dual disk setup. Because it was setup to give good braking off a single disk, on the twin disk setup it provided slightly more power. I tried this but it was marginal. GSX1100 disks plus good pads give adequate braking compared to modern stuff, as long as you are not someone used to one finger stoppies!

Comment

I am going to try to do this to my 78 GS1000C
            Given that I get the forks, what calipers should I get?
            Right now my front brake requires that you work out
            in the gym 3 to 5 times a week just to be strong enough
            to pull on it in any fashion that would actually contribute
            to stopping the bike. Thus, my rear brake gets over
            used and rear tire wear is bad as a result.

Bottom line, I have to try something to make it better.
            The bike does not stop well and it is going through a
            read tire every year. I could get into two tires a year
            easy if I wasn't willing to ride out the remainder of the
            year on a bald tire. There is way to much engine for
            the brakes and I plan on putting in more engine so the
            brakes are going to need attention now.

Any caliper or other advice is appreciated.

Comment

Mark - I would try to find the entire front end setup (triples, forks, brakes and rotors) from one of the many early 80's 1100e's ... everything will bolt right on. 8)

Comment

I want to try to keep it minimal as possible though too. If I find a set of pins off a 78 or 79 that had the duels then all I would need is the calipers and master cyclinder right? The pins should bolt right into my triple would they not? I just am thinking this would be low budget and easy to do and still give me duels then. I guess I would need the disks too.

What are your thoughts on that?

Comment

oooh yeah! I'M EXCITED NOW i think im just going to use the 79's forks, mastercylinder, calipers, balancer, and disks. i'll get myself some special lines while im at it. I'll have to post a pick of my 77' its a cafe special as well if i can get my stator fixed before the texas meet i be there since i live in houston its no big deal for me....

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                    I want to try to keep it minimal as possible though too. If I find a set of pins off a 78 or 79 that had the duels then all I would need is the calipers and master cyclinder right? The pins should bolt right into my triple would they not? I just am thinking this would be low budget and easy to do and still give me duels then. I guess I would need the disks too.

What are your thoughts on that?
                    That will probably work as well ... I'm trying to remember (it hurts!!) - I think the last set of 1100e forks I swapped were 36mm and your right, they did fit the existing triples on my 1000.

Is your front hub drilled to accept rotors on both sides?? 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Jon E
                      oooh yeah! I'M EXCITED NOW i think im just going to use the 79's forks, mastercylinder, calipers, balancer, and disks. i'll get myself some special lines while im at it. I'll have to post a pick of my 77' its a cafe special as well if i can get my stator fixed before the texas meet i be there since i live in houston its no big deal for me....
                      Jon - Welcome to the forum!! I'd like to see pic's of your bike, sounds like my kind of GS!! I believe there's a stator for the 750 on Ebay right now!! (I'll have to check - haven't looked in a couple of days) ...

It would be great if you could make the next ride - we really have a good time, and seeing all of the old hardware running down the road makes it even better!! 8)

Comment

Working...
                      X