530 Conversion spacers from Z1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

530 Conversion spacers from Z1

Sorry, I know this has been beat to death, but I can't tell from all the posts what the right answer is.

Z1 ships two tiny 1.25mm spacers with the conversion kit. (I have to order the 6mm for another 9.50 shipping aaargh).

I know the 6mm goes on the outside.

Do I use 0, 1 or 2 1.25mm spacers on the INSIDE? Seems as if people have done all combinations and I can't imagine they would send them if I didn't need them. Hoping not to have to do this twice.

81 750T 23K miles replacing an 11K mile non o-ring chain that is still good but showing some rust signs and pull back of the sprockets is getting to wear limit.

I only use the 6mm on the outside, never had a problem.

Comment

Some of them don't need the 6mm shim. My 1100ES you couldn't use the shim with and still have thread left to tighten the nut. But the supplier of the 18t front sprocket z1 *was* carrying (and I say was because I'm not sure they're still carrying that brand) was more narrow than the normal brands sprockets. (most of those sprockets are JT I think?? But the 18t wasn't) and there was, after tightening the nut, slop that allowed the sprocket to move side to side on the spline ever so slightly. That'll ruin a chain and sprocket set real quick needless to say. I never used the 18t because of this but I would guess that 1.25mm or 2.5mm would take up that slop. It certainly wasn't 6mm obviously. I've read some models don't require a spacer at all, so I'd check to see what it is you need. Perhaps you could compare the thickness of your old sprocket to the new and see?

Comment

Originally posted by Joel750T View Post
        Z1 ships two tiny 1.25mm spacers with the conversion kit. (I have to order the 6mm for another 9.50 shipping aaargh).

I know the 6mm goes on the outside.

Do I use 0, 1 or 2 1.25mm spacers on the INSIDE? Seems as if people have done all combinations and I can't imagine they would send them if I didn't need them. Hoping not to have to do this twice.
        I installed an 18T front and 50T rear for my '82 750T. Got them from Z1 in 2009 along with an RK 530 X-ring chain. The only spacer I recall, and the only one shown on the invoice is the 6mm for the front.
        sigpic
        1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
        2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Thank you all. Both front's are 8.8mm though the original has a slight recess for the dampers so I am measuring from the widest part. I have the same 18T setup.

Rear is a little off. Original is 8.8-9.3 depending on where I hit it which seems odd. New is 8.7 - 9. Guess that's still not enough to need the spacer. I would think the tolerances would be a little tighter.

Comment

Working...
          X