GS550 clutch cable lengths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 clutch cable lengths

For the info of everyone installing lower handlebars, I recently ordered a GS450E clutch cable and measured it at 42", which is 6" shorter than the stock clutch cable of my '78 550. It fits nicely with drag bars, although it must snake its way around the gauges.

I was later able to avoid the snaking problem by replacing the stock clutch lever assembly with one from a GS500, which has an unsual cable take-off angle (angles toward the front of the bike, rather than parallel to the handlebar), but otherwise looks just like an ordinary GS clutch lever.

Any pictures? I plan on doing drag bars on my gs550 cafe build

Comment

I'm running drag bars on my '79 550 with stock clutch cable without any issues. Were you just looking to avoid the excess cable @ the top, or was there another reason for going with the shorter cable?

Comment

Here's a pic. Doesn't really show the clutch cable, but does show the bars, with the stock clutch lever mount, not the GS500 item. I just wanted to avoid having the cables looping around the steering head and rubbing on the headlight bucket. I shortened the throttle cables myself, because there isn't much force exerted there. Now the cables run in their intended routes, instead of looping all over the place, like they had to when they were their original length.

Comment

That looks a lot cleaner than my current cable configuration. I'll probably pick up a 450 clutch cable over the summer.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
          X