Carb Filters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Filters?

Where can I find these mini K&N style filters opposed to using the stock airbox? And the recommended size. Thank you
    Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2012, 09:54 AM.

You can find those cheap filters at just about any motorcycle shop, but virtually NOBODY on this board will recommend using them.

Start with the fact that they don't filter very well. Their construction is such that any two filters might not have the same flow characteristics. This makes jetting for them a nightmare. When they get dirty (which only happens if you actually ride the bike), they can not be cleaned and used again, they must be replaced. Since they are not made consistently, your jetting nightmare continues.

If you really insist on going with the "look" of individual filters, do yourself (and your bike) a favor, get good filters, like K&N or APE. They do cost more, but there is a good reason for it.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      You can find those cheap filters at just about any motorcycle shop, but virtually NOBODY on this board will recommend using them.

Start with the fact that they don't filter very well. Their construction is such that any two filters might not have the same flow characteristics. This makes jetting for them a nightmare. When they get dirty (which only happens if you actually ride the bike), they can not be cleaned and used again, they must be replaced. Since they are not made consistently, your jetting nightmare continues.

If you really insist on going with the "look" of individual filters, do yourself (and your bike) a favor, get good filters, like K&N or APE. They do cost more, but there is a good reason for it.

Yeah I wanted to go with K&N's or APES, I just was unfamiliar with the size I would need. Do you happen to know the size? Or a decent vendor where I can purchase them? Thank you

Comment

I got mine from here, along with some new carbs and some rear shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyR View Post
          I got mine from here, along with some new carbs and some rear shocks.

http://www.dynoman.net/index.html
          Which did you go with? The K&N #RC-1824 or the DYNOMAN #DP-107?

Comment

In my experience, the inside carbs run richer than the outside carbs, and the bikes I put them on didn't make as much power as they did with the airbox, but they do indeed look cool.

Comment

Look up my thread about the K&N filters. PM me with any questions.

Comment

If I purchased the K&N's, would i need to re-jet my carbs?

Comment

yes you will

Comment

How about this guy? Anyone have any thoughts on him? A K&N drop in, looks like it drops right in and is good to go.

Comment

Yeah that is just a stock replacement. Not sure on jetting for it, but it retains the air box.

Comment

Originally posted by Pendulum View Post
                        Yeah that is just a stock replacement. Not sure on jetting for it, but it retains the air box.
                        Usually, with the VM mechanical carbs, stock jetting with a step richer on the needle and a tweak of the air screws will work with the drop in (stock replacement) filter. Pods absolutely will require a good deal of change in the jet selection and needle clip position. If your bike uses the later CV type carbs, don't waste your time and sanity attempting to re-jet them for pods as the stock needles are not adjustable nor adequate for such a set up. A DynoJet kit is absolutely the best, quickest and most definite solution.

If you've not got the bike running correctly yet, I'd suggest doing so before making an intake change, as you need some idea of current stock performance to base your jetting changes on when switching to pods. Even with a DynoJet kit, it will require some fine tuning, and if you don't know what to expect you will find the process quite frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                        X