Gas Mileage/Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thkbaron View Post
    I guess it's good to hear that a few other people are getting mileage like that with similar riding. This bike has been sitting for quite some time too so I'm sure things will improve a bit the more I ride it.
    Gearhead's bike has almost double the displacement of yours.
    Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
    2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

So I took the bike out on the highway today . put on 40 miles. Hit a couple of straight stretches and buried the needle. Mostly i was doing between 55 and 60. Got 40 miles per gallon. That's not too bad seeing the bike hasn't ran much in the past 20 years. Still have a bit of visible gas vapor so to speak in the petcock vacuum line. It's new so I don't know why I would be having that issue if it's an issue at all since the petcock is new. I'm sure I don't have the mixture screws spot on either, but do those even effect cruising speed/mileage, etc? I guess I'm going to just play it by ear for the time being. Run it a bit more and see how things pan out. I might complete break the carbs down myself this winter just so I know everything is 100 percent correct. I trust the guy that broke them down prior to me buying it, but I did find one small mistake already so there could be more. I was hoping for a bit better mileage in town seeing that's what all my driving will be, but who knows it may get better.

Comment

sheesh and i thought 27mpg was bad on my 1100 stage 3 pods n pipe, riding it short trips lotsa throttle lol

Comment

My ZRX gets absolute ****e mileage in the city. Best of 32mpg. On the freeway I've seen near 50MPG. Balls out twisty riding I get around 37-42. Stop and go riding is hell on MPG even on a bike.

Comment

Originally posted by thkbaron View Post
            I'm sure I don't have the mixture screws spot on either, but do those even effect cruising speed/mileage, etc?
            Everything effects mileage. Mixture screws included.
            Hundred of different factors combine to determine fuel efficiency, and if a few things are a little bit off, mileage goes to Hell.
            Some GSes when whipped hard still get fairly good mileage, others turn to crap.
            Even ridden identically, some bikes use maybe as much as 20% more fuel than other bikes of the same model.
            My 650G uses almost twice as much fuel as my 1100G, it's just not been tweaked as well. Yet.
            Some riders are fuel efficient, some are not, even when riding identical bikes side by side. Even at racing speeds, some guys are just better at it than others. Riding smoothly, shifting at the right place and time, not lugging or overwinding the engine, planning ahead, avoiding needless braking, and keeping the speed up through turns, so many other factors all add to the distance a tank will go.

For a GS not on a race track to get 20 something MPG, there are serious problems.
            Last edited by tkent02; 03-28-2012, 02:32 AM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
            X