No announcement yet.

Need help tuning, beyond basics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, did you drill the slide port out wih the small bit in the kit? You must do that or the slides will not lift fast enough...

Comment

Ok.. Yes I did drill the slide ports.

As far as the pods, I will have to find a pic again. Any pod will fit the carb, you are right, but the way the L frame is, normal pods were too long, and the frame gets in the way. The double oval filters I have are very tight, but work.

Carbs are clean rings and boots are fine, in my first post I mention what I had done in terms of them. Carbs get dipped when cleaned.

The pipes are stock, but probably drilled.

The stage 3 kit when fully installed, gave great throttle range,, but it was just undriveable. It is either floored, or not. there is no sense of smooth acceleration at all. The changes between needle clip positions were so drastic. Obviously a stage 3 kit is too agressive, but like I said, I am a tinkerer, and this is all that was available, so why not?

I am more interested in driveability and fuel consumption now. I am starting to think from everyones help, that I need to get ahold of an airbox, and stock pipes. I dont want to though, that feels like failure to me.

Concerning the 5500rpm.... It is throttle position like you say, but adding the fact that it is only a 550, and I am 220lbs.... Thats where she bogs with stock carb set up. It is not clearly apparent which throttle positions are having the most trouble. Would it help if I took a vid with my droid while accelerating? Id be willing to if it would help you decide.

Comment

Originally posted by Demonthrall View Post
        Ok.. Yes I did drill the slide ports.

As far as the pods, I will have to find a pic again. Any pod will fit the carb, you are right, but the way the L frame is, normal pods were too long, and the frame gets in the way. The double oval filters I have are very tight, but work.

Carbs are clean rings and boots are fine, in my first post I mention what I had done in terms of them. Carbs get dipped when cleaned.

The pipes are stock, but probably drilled.

The stage 3 kit when fully installed, gave great throttle range,, but it was just undriveable. It is either floored, or not. there is no sense of smooth acceleration at all. The changes between needle clip positions were so drastic. Obviously a stage 3 kit is too agressive, but like I said, I am a tinkerer, and this is all that was available, so why not?

I am more interested in driveability and fuel consumption now. I am starting to think from everyones help, that I need to get ahold of an airbox, and stock pipes. I dont want to though, that feels like failure to me.

Concerning the 5500rpm.... It is throttle position like you say, but adding the fact that it is only a 550, and I am 220lbs.... Thats where she bogs with stock carb set up. It is not clearly apparent which throttle positions are having the most trouble. Would it help if I took a vid with my droid while accelerating? Id be willing to if it would help you decide.
        Just take some tape and mark your throttle. Start at closed, and mark 1/4 turn increments from there to wide open throttle. Then ride. When it breaks up, look down and note where the throttle is set when it's having issues.

Comment

Go to this link to see the air filters:

http://www.bikebandit.com/k-n-dual-f...hrome-centered

Each oval air filter has two round rubber holes that fit just perfect. The fact that the air filters are so flat is the only way they fit. I might have an installed pic somewhere, so you can see how the fram shape restricts the normal pods.

Comment

Working...
          X