GSXR Shock in a 1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSXR Shock in a 1150

A few People had asked about upgrading the shock on a 1150. I had mounted a fox double clicker out of a 90 GSXR 750 a few years back. I took the swingarm out to try and raise the rear ride height a bit after installing the 89 GSXR front end. I thought it would be a good time to take a picture and show how easy it was to do this.

The only modification was at the top. I took a grinder to the linkage to fit the shock and then had a spacer welded in for strength.

The Shock was the same length as the 1150 from eye to eye. There is a threaded rod for a small amount of adjustment. This is the part I adjusted this year to try to give me a little more ride height. I didn't hit anything last year because of the clearance, but when on the side stand when parked at the curb it looked like the bike would fall over real easy.

Nice job Gerry. I may mount the '97 GSXR shock I've got for my swingarm swap after seeing this. Just replacing the shock might do just about as well. Just need to measure the shocks.

Comment

Thanks Billy,

I have the shock set up real stiff and this might be why I don't have any ground clearance problems. When I had the other shock the bike would squat quite a bit when I sat on it.

I was only able to adjust it up a 1/4 of an inch more from where I had it set. I'll try it like this and if I need more height I'll have a new adjuster made for the top of the shock or fox might even make one.

The only bad thing is it's hard to reach the rebound damping knob when everything is back in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
        Nice job Gerry. I may mount the '97 GSXR shock I've got for my swingarm swap after seeing this. Just replacing the shock might do just about as well. Just need to measure the shocks.
        If you get around to doing this, I would be interested as to how it comes out.

Comment

Gerry,

I hate to dampen the spirit of innovation, but I noticed the shock is mounted upside down. I'm just wondering if that has any effect on damping that you know of? The shocks are usually nitrogen charged and internal valving needs to be submerged in oil for damping to work right. mark m may have some insight into this.

Comment

I'm just wondering if that has any effect on damping that you know of? The shocks are usually nitrogen charged and internal valving needs to be submerged in oil for damping to work right
            It shouldn't affect the shock at all, because there is no air inside the shock body, just oil. The nitrogen charge is separated from the oil by a floating piston, so you can run it in any position you like. On older, non-pressurized shocks this can be an issue, but it shouldn't be a problem at all here. I will check with a buddy who used to do suspension work for a living, just to be sure, but I don't think it's a problem.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
              Gerry,

I hate to dampen the spirit of innovation, but I noticed the shock is mounted upside down. I'm just wondering if that has any effect on damping that you know of? The shocks are usually nitrogen charged and internal valving needs to be submerged in oil for damping to work right. mark m may have some insight into this.
              I had some concerns about mounting it that way as well. Every one I asked at the time didn't seem to think it would hurt to mount it like that. But no one said anything about the internal valving needing to be submerged in oil to work right. This is a very good point.

As far as it not performing 100%, maybe it isn't, but it is a very big improvement from what it was. For me the shock works great and the bike handles real well.

Comment

Originally posted by mark m
                I'm just wondering if that has any effect on damping that you know of? The shocks are usually nitrogen charged and internal valving needs to be submerged in oil for damping to work right
                It shouldn't affect the shock at all, because there is no air inside the shock body, just oil. The nitrogen charge is separated from the oil by a floating piston, so you can run it in any position you like. On older, non-pressurized shocks this can be an issue, but it shouldn't be a problem at all here. I will check with a buddy who used to do suspension work for a living, just to be sure, but I don't think it's a problem.

Mark
                Thanks Mark, It would be good to know if it makes a difference.

Comment

Mark's response makes sense. I just wasn't sure if the nitrogen was kept seperate from the oil. It would almost have to be for a reservoir to even work right. Being upside down would make getting to the preload easier. I'm sure it does make a big difference in handling. The '97 shock I have has a piggyback reservoir so I would have to mount it right side up to keep the reservoir from hanging too low. It has one end like your top so I'm thinking bronze bushings between the swingarm mount and the shock mount.

Comment

Gerry.

What kind of joint is there on your modified installation? Is there a roller bearing inside your homemade spacer? If not, the bolt is the joint and if you tighten it securly the link will stick and also wear down the bolt as it moves inside from suspension. Am I missing something?

Regards, Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by chrille_08
                      Gerry.

What kind of joint is there on your modified installation? Is there a roller bearing inside your homemade spacer? If not, the bolt is the joint and if you tighten it securly the link will stick and also wear down the bolt as it moves inside from suspension. Am I missing something?

Regards, Chris.
                      Hey Chris,

No bearing and the bolt is the joint. This will be the fifth season with the shock and no wear any wear 8O . I understand what your saying about the linkage sticking and I don't think it does. It might be a good idea to have a bearing in there if someone was to do this mod, but as far as I can tell it's not needed.

Comment

I just heard back from my buddy and he says it makes no difference and I had it correct on the internals. So mount it however it fits and don't worry about it... 8)

Mark

Comment

Working...
                        X