Performance upgrades for '78 GS1000C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance upgrades for '78 GS1000C

Well, getting a late start for spring riding (already near 70 here!), but I wanted to do some simple performance upgrades for my '78 1000C. I currently have a ported head, milled .040" w/ 40mm intake & stock exhaust valves for it. I also have some 29mm smoothbores available to me. Should I just do these upgrades to my stock 29k mile bike or should I wait until next spring & re-do the whole motor? I have yet to do the 530 chain conversion, or anything else mechanically different for that matter.

Ideally, I'd like to get some sort of a big-bore kit & some slightly better cams, but those may have to wait for funds & time. I don't really want to go crazy, just make it a little better & more fun. This is my first liter-class bike and I want to enjoy it instead of stare at it for long periods of time.

I've already got velocity stacks on my 26mm carbs, oil cooler, gs1100 swingarm, supertrapp 4-1, gsxr rims & bandit 1200 front end. Next year I'm hoping to get some emulators, too.

you got pics?
    i have a leed on a 78 and 79 gs 1k for for cheap and i was thinking about doing things like that too. mind if i ask how much $ are you infor with all these mods so far.

ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

The bottomless pit I throw money into...

Well, I bought the bike for $1150 in July '03. It already had the Supertrapp on it. It was purchased as seen in my avatar, but have since removed the rack, luggage, & fairing.

Among everything to this date, I'm probably into the bike for another $1500. Of course, that does not include things I bought but was not well-informed about or because I changed my mind about things. e-Bay has been both my friend and my enemy. Selling some of the things on the bike netted me about $500 or so. The stuff I bought but was then wrong about or decided not to use probably lost me at least $500. I'm probably at the dreaded "point of no return" with this bike, so I better at least keep it for a while longer.

I have too many varied interests and a short attention span. I can't do anything in moderation. Now, what was I saying? 8O

Comment

I think the mods you have are great. The next steps would be larger bore and cams, but I woulld wait to do that when the engine needs doing. The extra torque and drive from a bigger bore is very nice on the road.

Comment

1150 cams and adjustable cam sprockets with them dialled in for 106 degrre lobe centres would be a fairly quick cheap and (relatively) easy mod.29mm smoothbores would work nicely with that setup and should grow pretty well with a later mild increase in capacity.
          Dink

Comment

Re: The bottomless pit I throw money into...

Originally posted by bigcatluvr76
            I have too many varied interests and a short attention span. I can't do anything in moderation. Now, what was I saying? 8O
            If I didn't know better I would think you were picking on me But your talking about yourself :roll:
            Let me guess, you like heavy metal (old school) enjoy modern hip hop/rock combo music, like to be alone a lot of times and spend way too much time in the garage to the point that it gets you into trouble? You treat music like a movie in that if someone talks during a good song you go "shhhhh!" because you find it interuptive to the music.

Am I close? If not then our age differences are what is off because in all your posts you sound like your describing me

If you keep your bike then any money you put into it is not waisted.

Comment

Re: The bottomless pit I throw money into...

Originally posted by Hoomgar
              Originally posted by bigcatluvr76
              If I didn't know better I would think you were picking on me But your talking about yourself :roll:
              Let me guess, you like heavy metal (old school) enjoy modern hip hop/rock combo music, like to be alone a lot of times and spend way too much time in the garage to the point that it gets you into trouble? You treat music like a movie in that if someone talks during a good song you go "shhhhh!" because you find it interuptive to the music.

Am I close? If not then our age differences are what is off because in all your posts you sound like your describing me

If you keep your bike then any money you put into it is not waisted.
              hmmmmmm that sounds real familiar

Comment

Bigcat et al,

I think the 1150 cams referenced above are from the 4v motor; they won't fit your GS1000 unless it is also a 4v motor. Sounds like it is the 2v motor.

Have fun!

Thanks, Pat

Comment

Hoomgar

Long lost brothers, maybe? I'm originally from PA! Seriously, though, my wife puts up with me, and keeps me on the straight and narrow as best she can. She rides, too, so at least she quasi-understands the whole "bike" thing.

Comment

LOL I knew it!
                    So what part of PA?

Comment

you could always get your cams re-ground to 1150 spec.
                      they were the "hot swap" at that time.
                      Dink

Comment

If you change the cams It is advisable to go to a manual cam chain tensioner. I would have fun this summer, save your money and do the mods next winter.

Comment

Working...
                        X