breaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

breaks

break disks and break calipers along with rear sets i am looking for something more modern i have the stock breaks on their along with stock break disks i need more stopping power and better breaking systems
    i need new and modern anyone know any good websites of where i can buy a complete system? also what parts fit well on the gs 1000 from 1978

This should really go in the brakes section but search for and read up on Salty_Monk's twinpot conversion
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Sorry, but if you need stopping power, you need brakes, not breaks.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Is this the thread to go to to take a break?
        I'm "all in!"

Eric

Comment

Just brakes my heart when the bike won't stop because of bad breaks.

Comment

Ah come on guys, that's enough! Give him a brake already.
            No signature

Comment

New bikes have nice breaks.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

This recent thread on rearsets should give you the info you need.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

OK IM looking for brakes and disks for my gs
                  i will look for rear sets later

Comment

On motorcycles

A drilled motorcycle brake disc
                    Motorcycle disc brakes have become increasingly sophisticated since their introduction in 1969 on the Honda CB750. Motorcycle discs are usually stainless steel, drilled and occasionally slotted, to help remove rain water.
                    Many motorcycle discs are of a floating design where the disc rides on small dowels and is allowed to slightly move laterally. This allows for better disc centering when used with a fixed caliper.
                    It can also prevent heat transfer to the wheel hub under hard braking. Calipers have evolved from simple "single-piston" units to two-, four- and even six-piston items.
                    Since (compared to cars) motorcycles have a higher centre of gravity:wheelbase ratio, they experience more weight transference when braking.
                    The front brake(s) provide most of the required deceleration, while the rear brake serves mainly to "balance" the motorcycle during braking.
                    A modern sports bike will typically have twin front discs of large diameter, but only a very much smaller single rear disc.
                    This is because the rear wheel can only transfer a fraction of the stopping power due to the weight transfer to the front that occurs when braking.
                    The same effect lets the front wheel transfer a lot more stopping power before locking up.

Just sayin'

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper0001 View Post
                      break disks and break calipers along with rear sets i am looking for something more modern i have the stock breaks on their along with stock break disks i need more stopping power and better breaking systems
                      i need new and modern anyone know any good websites of where i can buy a complete system? also what parts fit well on the gs 1000 from 1978
                      Reaper, since no one else has really given you much help here, GSXR front ends from 86- 95 will bolt right on to your bike. The bearings & stem lengths are the same & will bolt right on! Not only will you benefit from MUCH better brakes but you will also gain better suspension! Feel free to give me a call at 714--356-7845 if you have questions about this. Ray.

Comment

thanks ray I'm about to head to work on my gs ill call ya about it later maybe on thursday or so!!

Comment

Yah reaper i am to the point i just call ray,it's easier than all the funny business.And he is always glad to help and in 5 minutes solves an issue and passes on great knowledge.U see i am new to bikes for the most part,owned 3 but this the first one i really put work into,have 20 years in the auto business tho, i havn't worked a regular job in 5 years and turn down work.Search function has helped alot too but sometimes it takes a bit to find what u need,and sometimes i find it on other sites,google is my best friend lol.And Ray too!!

Comment

Working...
                          X