clear clutch and timing covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clear clutch and timing covers

I want to know what material they use to make these and has anyone done a gs yet? timing cover or clutch cover. I thinks its kinda dumb but at the same time I like to see whats inside! Its like a window into the soul!

i have done my GS1000 clutch and timing cover. LED back lit as well.
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
      i have done my GS1000 clutch and timing cover. LED back lit as well.
      http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=100_1035.mp4
      That looks really cool. did you use a different cover and cut it out? how did you get the led back light to work? would you please help unfold the mystery for me? also where did you get the blue case screws? looks freaking sweeet!

Comment

When all else fails check the gs resources I thought because I was just thinking of doing the exact same thing for my 750. So far have come up short in finding anything since everything I have found as far as bolt on clear covers are for the honda cb's. I am also quite interested in it, more than likely is going to require my local machinist's assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by gs750caferacer View Post
          That looks really cool. did you use a different cover and cut it out? how did you get the led back light to work? would you please help unfold the mystery for me? also where did you get the blue case screws? looks freaking sweeet!
          for the bolts you can try here

Probolt-USA the number one supplier of Aluminum, Stainless steel, and Titanium to the Motorcycle Race Teams in the USA. Also a very large selection of Kits for your Road going Motorcycle Fairing, Engine, Frame, Brakes, Wheels, Forks, Screen, all in Stock in the USA.

a huge assortment.....

Comment

http://www.saarloos.net/yamaha-vmax-...er-mainmenu-33 ok here we go! now i just need to find out how to get the back light inside! but i think i might have a go at this if it doesn't go well i will bite the bullet and get a new cover... wish me luck!

Comment

Good luck for sure and post up some pics when your done, if you would. It would be great to see how it turns out!

Comment

you really need to get the machining done in a machine shop, by CNC preferably.
                cutting out the clutch cover and the perspex using a jigsaw will look rough and be prone to leaks.plus, if you have the clutch operating lever and shaft as a part of the cover (see pic) then you will not be able to use a jigsaw as you need to keep most of the webbing intact in the cover.

the LED is fed down the crankcase breather hose
                Last edited by Agemax; 07-18-2012, 10:13 AM.
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

Wow that looks amazing! How has it held up after removing all the metal between the webbing? I would be afraid of it not having the same structural integrity and cracking on the clutch cover.

Comment

there is no metal removed from between the webbing, just the outer face of the cover. there is still plenty of metal and strength in there to cope
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

Hi age

Looks amazing. Any chance of a video???? How much pill slops around in the clutch cavity??? Does hot oil have any effect upon Perspex long term??? Oil affect the LEDs???

Have admired your setup for ages and have pondered the practicalities.

Richard

Comment

there is a short vid at the beginning of the thread (post 2). the clear cover is acrylic. no probs with the hot oil, just steams up a bit inside until it warms up. the oil dosent seem to affect the LED's either
                        1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                        X