86-87 gsxr750 front end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

86-87 gsxr750 front end?

is it worth getting a 86-87 gsxr750 front end and triple, not inverted and no wheel, or brake for like 50 bucks? it's local so i could go pick it up. i was thinking i could swap it onto my 79gs1000.

what do you guys think.

ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

It would be spendy for your to buy the brakes, bars, and wheel separately, for forks that wouldn't offer an incredible performance upgrade.

I'd look around for an early 90's 1100 front end complete at a local wrecker. Ebay prices get out of hand on front ends, and shipping can break the bank....

Just my .02.....

-Q!

Comment

can new (86-87) discs and calipers bolt up to the oem forks and wheels no problem?

-ryan
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x

Comment

86-87 GSXR's used 18in wheels both front and rear, I would stay away from these years as tire choices in these sizes are now very limited. 1988 models and up use the much more common 17in wheels. On a bike as light as a 550, I think any fork swap would be overkill. Try stiffening stock fork springs and replacing fork oil, a fork brace and braided steel brake lines with high quality rubber. This is probably all the modification you need. Good Luck, Ed.

Comment

Fork upgrade

If you have a earlier 550, the very last of the 2 valve 550's used stiffer forks with bigger diameter tubes, the same ones as on the 750.
          I had a 550M that had these forks on stock, and it would be a easy swap...

Comment

You're looking to do this on a GS1000, right?

The GSXR brakes and the GS brakes are different, and they will not bolt up to the other bike's forks.

You may be able to use GSXR brakes on your forks (or vice versa) if you're willing to have a mounting adapter plate made up, but you'll have to measure the discs to make sure the calipers will work, and you'll have to play with the mounting arrangment to make sure the calipers won't hang up or rub on the rim.....

I'd still stick with my original recommendation for an early 90's GSXR1100 front end if you can find one complete, or find a salvaged rolling chassis.

Good luck,

-Q!

Comment

thanks quai,

yes i was asking about my 79GS1000 my 550 is doing well and i don't need to do anything to that. i'll just keep my eye out for a good deal on a gsxr front end for cheap, i'm not in a hurry or anything so its all cool. I just saw a 87 gsx front end on ebay locally for cheap. thats why i had asked.

-Ryan
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x

Comment

Sorry, my fault-guess i had 550 on the brain. Anyway the 86-87 years are probably the least desirable as they were not very beefed up and used the 18in wheels. Also considering the 86-87 GSXR 750's were superlight at about 390lbs and designed as such, I doubt such a swap would yield gains worth the effort. I would go with a later model GSXR1100 front end for your 550lb. bike. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

I used 87 GSXR 1.1 front end on my bike + 17`` front Katana wheel.
                  If you decide to use this fork you have to buy it with its own brake calipers, more popular and better Nissins didnt fit.
                  Because I already had them I was forced to make adapters.
                  By the way Nissins bolt on to front sliders of GS 1150, which are little different than yours, but need 16`` front wheel - again dead end with tires and handling.
                  You could use Katana wheel, or 88 / 89 GSXR wheel (more expensive )
                  with this fork - they would need some distances only to fit.
                  You `ll have to use proper Katana or GSXR speedo gear according to the wheel.
                  For me Katana speedo cable worked well.
                  You can see all this on http://www25.brinkster.com/junakm10/adam/default.html
                  under Tuning Suzuki.
                  Unfortunetly all the writing there is done in polish.

Adam M.

Comment

Working...
                  X