No announcement yet.

GS1000G mods- big bore and fuel injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately the O2 sensor issue is now moot. The drive shaft bevel drive on the engine side lunched this morning, so the project is on indefinite hold.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      Well that convertor works fine if you get the driver sorted. Prolific, the driver manufacturer, has purposely made it difficult as there are counterfeit chips being produced that are compatible with the Prolific drivers. The installer purposefully corrupts the driver to block usage by the counterfeit chips (the cheap ones) so you just need to get around that. I have a link, but assume you are not interested.

For anybody else, here are the directions; Pages 3 thru 6 have the specific instructions to follow to get the Prolific driver setup correctly so you can use most any of the cheapo USB convertor on ebay.

I'm developing a system at the moment that will use at least two USB serial ports on my Host side, maybe more. My Serial Code under windows will only run at 115K even though Win32 API is supposed to support 256K Baud. Considering my earlier baud rates this is fast.

EDIT: I just checked both my RS-232 ports installed in these machines as well as the backdated (3.2.0.0 dated 7/31/2007) Prolific drivers are limited to 128K baud.

BTW, this is one of the cheapo convertors that also works with the exact same drivers. As mentioned before the USB connector is cheap and does not provide a good mechanical hold on the inserted USB cable.

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for USB to Rs232 Serial Blue Db9 Adapter USB Cable for XP Vista Win7 Female Screw at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

This style has better mechanical properties but you have to pay for what you get.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-To-RS232...item419294e099
      Despite my statement in the post above, I have been having alot of problems with USB over Virtual comm ports. These things are tricky and much more going on than meets the eye. You have to be very wary about which chip set your device is using. The very cheapest are the prolific chipsets mentioned. They work "mostly", but not perfectly.

By most accounts the FTDI chipsets and the driver work much better. My testing so far is also bearing this out. Unless you want a lot of headaches stick with the name brand USB to RS-232 vendors and preferably the FTDI chip sets.

Comment

wow. just, wow.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1000G Shopper View Post
          Unfortunately the O2 sensor issue is now moot. The drive shaft bevel drive on the engine side lunched this morning, so the project is on indefinite hold.
          Any damage to the cases? If not, then this may not be a huge issue to resolve. Part of doing a massive project like this. Keep it going and you'll be rewarded.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
            Any damage to the cases? If not, then this may not be a huge issue to resolve. Part of doing a massive project like this. Keep it going and you'll be rewarded.
            No. I'm learning how to rebuild the secondary drive as inexpensively as possible and am working on a how-to for it here.

It's been another hurry up & wait, I am expecting some shims on Monday and at that point I can check the tooth pattern and maybe put it back together.

Comment

Bumping this back up for encouragement! You've come too far to give up now!

Get to work!
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Get to work!
                That's the problem. I lost my income so projects are things of the past until that changes. I'd love to get to work.

The bike runs, it just lacks top end power, so it is a matter of road tuning. Can't do that since the tag on it is now expired (no money). On the plus side, this thread should have enough info for someone else to duplicate the project.

Comment

Well hopefully you will get back to it eventually. You are SO CLOSE, just a little fine tuning...
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working on same setup in a car tire Dragbike but have delays with the crank triger.

Originally posted by GS1000G Shopper View Post
                    Huge milestone this afternoon- it started & ran! Best news aside from that were no fluid leaks! My GS no longer thinks it is a Harley.

Now the tuning can begin.
                    I am doing the same thing to my car tire Dragbike but have had the road block with the crank triger.
                    I might have to try the setup you are using.
                    This has been a great help in my project.

Comment

Originally posted by nawelding View Post
                      I am doing the same thing to my car tire Dragbike but have had the road block with the crank trigger.
                      I might have to try the setup you are using.
                      Yeah, that was a difficult part. ArttuH's parts really worked good for me.

While I can't ride it now due to the tag, I do run it every few weeks. Even after sitting a couple of weeks it still starts easily.

This has been a great help in my project.
                      Thanks. That was one of my goals.

Comment

I am new to this and have tryed to contact ArttuH aboout his triger setup. Any idea how I can get a hold of him ?
                        My 36-1 trigger wheel is getting a intermittent RPM signal but it is trying to start.
                        Thanks

Comment

I am new to this and have tried to contact ArttuH about his trigger setup. Any idea how I can get a hold of him ?
                          My 36-1 trigger wheel is getting a intermittent RPM signal but it is trying to start.
                          Thanks
                          I see he was last active here 11-4-16, so if you sent him a message via the site he should eventually get it.

It's been a while since I worked on a trigger wheel, so here are some thoughts:
                          I initially wired mine backwards. Changing the polarity fixed the problem.
                          As I recall from the MS manual you may need a resistor.
                          What is the gap between the sensor and the wheel?
                          How thick is the wheel? I think one problem w/ my machined wheel was that it was too thin and hard to detect.

If you can attach a picture or two of your trigger setup this may help to diagnose it.

Finally, have you tried a trigger log such as in this post? That may help to pinpoint where your signal problem lies.

Comment

I am new to this and have tryed to contact ArttuH aboout his triger setup. Any idea how I can get a hold of him ?
                            Thanks
                            Hi. I got your message and answered it few days ago. But apparently you didn't got the reply? You can also send me email if private messages here won't work: arttuh<ät>iki.fi
                            Arttu
                            GS1100E EFI turbo
                            Project thread

Comment

Can I buy this setup from you ?

Comment

Ok I am sorry I am trying to figure this out .I am not to familiar with this. But need the help desperately.
                                How can I get this setup from you ?

Comment

Working...
                                X