No announcement yet.

GS1000G mods- big bore and fuel injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After a few days on other things, I was able to get a few GS things completed. The new shaft boot arrived and was not too difficult to install. I've gotten most of the motor mounting bolts in place, but have a lot of non-bike work coming up this week. Plus I have to replace the clutch on my GSX-G.

The only main type of item I can think of that I need is a fuel pump. The tank is back together with the rebuilt petcock and seals.

Comment

What are you using for a sketch for the arduino ?
      Stephen.
      1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
      GS twin wiki

Comment

EDIT
        No longer using the Arudino, check the first post for a link to the aftermarket PWM controller.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-23-2013, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Looks good
          Three days ago I decided to get into Arduino's
          I haven't programed anything since... well high-school but I understand what you have there
          Stephen.
          1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
          Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
          GS twin wiki

Comment

EDIT
            Internal fuel pumps do not work as external pumps.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-23-2013, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Won't it overheat if you use an internal pump externally??
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

The lifespan may be diminished, but from my research, I won't be using anywhere near the capacity of the pump. I may try to make some type of heat sink for it as well.

The fellow that designed the PWM controller uses an internal GSXR600 pump on his bike and has not reported any failures. He noted:

In practice, the pump controller works quite well. There were two issues with this solution. On hot days (above 90 F), the pump proper can get fairly warm after about 10 mins. This primarily occurs at idle or low RPM when insufficient fuel is flowing through the pump to cool it off. EFI fuel pumps tend to be very inefficient as only a very small fraction of the power they require is used to push fuel. The pump itself can take plenty of heat, it's the gas that can't. Above 120 F, gas near the surface of the pump inlet can boil, which causes the pump to cavitate and lose pressure.

I don't know if the GSXR uses a turbine style of pump like the Bosch is. They are supposed to be more efficient.

There's no question the best solution is one of the micro pumps from a few pages back, but I don't have another $400+ to sink into the project. In the worst case, I'm out $45 and some JB Weld.

Comment

Why did you use all that blue goo on the base gasket? I thought they were supposed to be put on dry.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1000G Shopper View Post
                    A little bit of this and that.

Tested OK on the simulator program I bought.

[code]

void setup()
                    {
                    pinMode(pwmPin, OUTPUT); // sets the pin as output
                    analogWrite(pwmPin, 128) // primes the pump at half power
                    ;delay(1000) // pump runs for 1 second
                    ;analogWrite(pwmPin, 0) // shuts off the pump
                    ;}

[/code]
                    Cool what compiler are you using? What processor is in the andrino?
                    Btw you normally don't put comments between the end of the statement and the semi-colon. The c++ style comment disables everything to the end of line.
                    Last edited by posplayr; 02-17-2013, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                      Why did you use all that blue goo on the base gasket? I thought they were supposed to be put on dry.
                      I started using Hylomar when I rebuilt a Rotary engine a number of years ago. It's good stuff and should not be a problem there. Time will tell of course.

EDIT
                      No longer using the Arudino, check the first post for a link to the aftermarket PWM controller.
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-23-2013, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Some more progress today. The head is on & torqued into place and the cams lined up & torqued down. I made a test-fit on the throttle bodies and air box and once in place everything should clear. I'm going to buy a set of GSX1100G throttle cables as the one GS cable is too short. I need to measure the choke cable for the choke function on the throttle bodies. Once these parts are in place, I can layout the fuel pump, filters, and hoses.

Not relevant to the project, but I'm replacing the front fender where the oil cooler dented it. While this is off, I'm replacing the front springs & resealing the forks.

Comment

Why do you even need a manual choke?

Sounds like something else the arduino can take care of.
                          Stephen.
                          1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                          Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                          GS twin wiki

Comment

It's not a choke (enrichment) as it is on the GS. It is a cam on the linkage that acts as a fast idle setting from what I can tell.

Trying to control this with a temperature-sensing actuator would be possible, but far more complex. I like being able to use the OEM choke knob.

Comment

GS1000 Shopper, I have a simple but highly functional oil cooler adapter kit if you were looking for one, 6061, with Black anodized AN fittings as well as pressure gauge, PM me if I can help.

Comment

Thanks for the offer, but after running an oil temperature gauge for a coupe of years, I've found an oil cooler is not needed on these bikes.

Comment

Working...
                                X