GS1150 OIl Cooler Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1150 OIl Cooler Upgrade

I recall seeing on this site someone describing a better (Earl's?) oil cooler setup on their GS1150. I'd like to do the same - the stock GS cooler, while sturdy, is nowhere near as good a cooler by weight as a "commercial" oil cooler.

Does anyone have a ready-made kit to do this? Anyone who has done it and has pictures? I am presuming we'll elimnate the banjo fittings and plumb the oil outputs next to the oil filter.

Anything on this?

I went with the stocker, just cleaned it up real good.

Comment

...and I don't dispute that the stock cooler looks good. It was also built to a price. I'd prefer something that gave me more cooling and more oil capacity since the GS is my two-up touring machine......

Comment

Lately I've been having a lot of success with Google Images.

If I need an idea about something like an "oil cooler" I go to the Google Images page and just type in the term oil cooler.

I use type and read search engines as well but there's nothing like "seeing" something. When you "see" the thing your looking for just left click on the picture and it takes you to the site.

I was amazed at all the cooler options, some bike specific, some not. After that it boils down to size and how you orient the filler outlets? I like em up so the oil stays in and doesn't affect sight glass level, most like em down so oil drains back.

I'm in New England and even here they do help in the summer. The 1150's forks seem to have a steep rake so you may be limited with how thick you can go.

Definitely check out Google Images there were tons of cool coolers. I use it all the time at work much easier than reading.

I have an Earls on my 1100 and it's worked well. Certainly not sleek by any perspective.

Comment

Working...
        X