Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Source for replacement pistons for my GS1000S?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source for replacement pistons for my GS1000S?

Well guys, by the blue smoke pouring from my poor rattley spare engine, I've decided to do a top end rebuild on the original "S" engine and put it back in my bike, so I've been trying to find a reputable supplier for oversize pistons, rings, gaskets etc for my 1981 GS1000S(T?) My local Suzuki dealer is obviously having a cash flow problem though, because he wants 2 arms and 2 legs for genuine suzi parts.

So I surfed the net and saw one US company, Pro-Flo, selling Wiseco big bore (1085 and 1100cc) kits for about $360.00 US plus shipping, which I thought was pretty bloody good for a complete kit including gaskets, wrist pins etc, has anyone bought a kit from this company, or do you know of another reputable company with similar pricing?

I priced a Wiseco kit for my bike maybe 5 years ago, and it was over $700.00 AUD back then, but I guess America's recent problems with those camel driving creeps in "The land of sand" has driven the Aussie "pacific peso" up to the point where we can afford to buy quality US products AND afford the ridiculous shipping costs! :twisted:

Pistons

Hi Terry, no clue about the pistons BUT did you know the gudgeon pins are made in Taiwain. Found this out when i rebuilt mine which had only 28,000 klms on it. The death rumble from my new motor after 500ks was frightening. Went to Serco to ask please explain and there answer was a lubrication ploblem, not a bad answer for a splash feed part. Cost to replace $2000. Bronze little ends, rebalance, JE tool steel pins,barrels and rebore. 50,000ks later still tough See Ya

Comment

J&E is a superior piston in almost any way.If you can afford them thats the way to go. I quit using wiseco after seeing them come apart like a cheap watch years ago drag racing. J&E will make anything you want on special order. If ordering a special piston ALWAYS get 5....you may need a spare down the road.

Comment

Forgot to mention don`t forget cosworth.....thats the top of the line. They usually do not carry a complete line like others though.

Comment

Pistons

100% right cbxchris you are not wrong about JE pistons but there are no off the shelf kits for GS1000's.

Comment

ive used wiseco pistons for my pickup rebuild and they are an excellent choice in my oppinion

Comment

I've got 1085 Wiseco pistons. 14,000 miles since my rebuild, no problems.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I have MTC pistons in mine, 20 years and 80,000kms later. Availabailty is the questios over here. Wisecos used to be the most common and affordable. As mine is a 1080 kit, the 1085 is my next oversize

Comment

I am putting the same pistons in my 1000 that Keith used.

Which is happening as we speak Keith
                  I dropped off some green backs yesterday to cover it.
                  Looks like I may have a GS shortly.

Comment

That's good. Are'nt projects fun? !
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

When you have the funds yes

Comment

I went thru Orient Express in NY for mine.
                        I have a 1980 S model.
                        I ended going up 3 sizes over stock, due to cylinder warpage, ok they were egg shaped and had to be bored.

I also got their stainless steel valves for about 1/2 what Suzuki wanted for stock valves.

I forget what I paid for the pistons and wrist pins......
                        Keith
                        -------------------------------------------
                        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Wiseco makes a good product and you'll be very happy with it. I haven't heard about MTC in about twenty years so I don't know if they're still around. They were big in Z1 Kawis. JE is owned by Carillo, I believe, and makes an excellent product but I think they concentrate more on car than bike pistons nowadays. They seem to be willing to do custom (expensive) orders though. The Wiseco kit should include the "gudgeon" (piston) pins and a base and head gasket, at least if you're going to a big bore, and those are good pieces. The XS650 crowd, of which I'm a crazy fan, likes Pro-Flo a lot. Good prices.

Comment

I was lucky enough to get a set of unused Cosworths for my bike years ago. Spent a few years trying to find rings for them. Finally ran across TotalSeal who were able to recut the ring grooves to accept a set of their gapless rings. I've got a spare used head, one new head minus the valve train, and a couple of new blocks. One of these days I'll put a topend together for my bike.

Comment

Wiseco are fine for street engines but come apart under severe loads of drag racing. Mainly the ring lands break. Thier pins leave something to be desired also. I recently(1-2 years ago) built a hayabusa using J&E`s. They were around 325.00. The quality is not there in the wiseco`s. The J&E`s come already wieghed and matched with polished domes and hand fitted pins(tool steel...not china junk). My thinking is if it cost a little more to go first class do it. BTW wiseco and J&E are owned by the same company. John at J&E is who you need to speak with.

Comment

Working...
                              X