hard starting gs550esf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hard starting gs550esf

have an 85 gs550 esf. starts on choke but will barely idle and stalls eventually. have to keep on choke for a mile or so once riding then you can feel it load up. turn the choke off and she runs and idles great for the day. carbs are the two barrel mikunis. i don't know what the low speed jets are supposed to be set at. thinking possibly the choke plungers may be out of adjustment. wanted to post on here to get some ideas before i go back it. i did clean the carbs thoroughly but i'm not sure if someone may have re jetted it or screwed something else up. bike is all stock, stock pipes, stock air box, has a k&n filter. any help, hints tips or tricks would be really appreciated. love the bike, good power, great mileage, comfortable. just a b word to start in the morning or when i get out of work

My idle screws are at 2 turns out and my choke circuit works fine.
    I did clean my carbs but not by dipping them.

I have found that a nice fuel system cleaner poperly measured for the tank can work out a lot of wonky dirty things.

Comment

i used seafoam, works great, my idle screws are at 3 1/4 so that won't help things. would explain why she loads up on choke. thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by deadsledracing View Post
        i used seafoam, works great, my idle screws are at 3 1/4 so that won't help things. would explain why she loads up on choke. thanks for the info
        No it doesn't. Pilot screw setting won't cause bike to run rich with the choke on.

I suggest you do basic maintenance. Replace carb O-rings, intake boot O-rings, verify jets match the OEM jets, adjust the valves.

Check my signature for the Newbie Mistakes thread and see what applies. The way to a reliable bike is built on solid maintenance.

Good luck
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Would you believe that the cold starting problems might not be your carbs?

Check your valve clearances.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i've heard that before. anyone know what the clearances should be? i've been trying to find a good pdf manual free or to buy but havnt had any luck finding one. dont really want to buy a clymers one but looks like i may have to.

Comment

Looks like all three of your posts (so far) have been in this thread, so BassCliff has not seen you to give you the full Mega Welcome.

Click HERE for your own copy of the Mega Welcome.

On that welcome page is a link to BassCliff's "little website". Or, you can click HERE to go directly to it. BOOKMARK IT. Did I just shout at you in bold letters? No, just emphasizing a point. In the middle column, you will see a link to a manual for an '83 550, that will be the same as yours. Grab a copy, save it, use it often. Come back and use the rest of his site often, too, that is why you will need to bookmark it.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

mega welcome is great! ordered a set of intake o rings and when i have the carbs out and tank off i'll set the valve clearance. thanks again! soooo much info. will post pics soon

Comment

Working...
                X