welded crank how important

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

welded crank how important

How important is it to weld the crank on an mostly sreet driven 1166 with aprox 140 hp to the rear wheel
    Thanks Dave

With it being big bored it is an extremely good idea, as one missed shift is enough to twist the crank, and if you have spent the money to big bore the motor why risk damaging it ?
    Dink

Comment

I second that!
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Re: welded crank how important

Originally posted by bi19tri
        How important is it to weld the crank on an mostly sreet driven 1166 with aprox 140 hp to the rear wheel
        Thanks Dave
        Wow, that's a lot of power out of an 1166. What year bike and what other mods. are on it?

For the crank, I would say if you still run a street tire and your not trying to do hole shots with it, I would not weld the crank unless you had the motor apart for other reasons. It's just starting to be good riding weather again. Enjoy it.

Comment

I have a ported head 348 lift cams 38mm rs carbs 11.5 to 1 comp ratio
          does anyone have any pics of a welded cranks?
          Thanks Dave

Comment

What year is your bike?

A welded crank......

Comment

82 gs1100e 4"over arm gsxr wheel

Comment

Thanks for the picture
                Dave

Comment

I would say very important.

Comment

With that setup a welded crank is more a matter of when should you get it done, particularly if you have also improved the grip through the tyres and use the power. The cranks in those bikes were fragile with standard power levels.

Most people here would kill for a motor like that!

Comment

Hi all.

I had the same thoughts this winter. I used to have a similar setup. I decided to replace the cam-chain and have the crank welded at the same time. As I?ve learned from others it is a cheap insurance to have it done at that stage. Next stage is around 180bhp where you need stright cut sprockets, unless you dragbike it with a slick. Then you may need it sooner.
                      Anyway, a 1327cc kit came my way so the crank was done at once...

You dont have to kill for that motor, just give up everything else in life for a while Such as beer, movies, new clothes, food........But it was worth it!

As said earlier, I replaced the camchain to a HD from APE. When you compare them side by side you will see why

Cheers.

/Chris

Comment

Working...
                      X