Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New handlebars + $1 throttle mod + new cap screws = spinning throttle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New handlebars + $1 throttle mod + new cap screws = spinning throttle?

I just put new Daytona bars on my 81 GS650GL.

I also did the throttle mod, since I was in there already. I also replaced the screws that hold the throttle on.

Now my throttle mount spins when I try to turn the throttle. I don't know if this is due to the mod, the slick handlebars, or the cap screws.

The screws are pretty tight - gently tightened with the short end of an allan wrench plus almost another 2/3rds or full turn. I'm afraid I'll rip the screws out if I go tighter.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I noticed the left grip spins now too, and that the old handlebars under the left grip was preeeetty rusty. Maybe I could scuff the bars to get them to stick, or shim the throttle mount.

Try wrapping some duct tape around the bar where the LH/RH controls mount to snug them up... I've had similar issues with new bars.
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Try drilling a hole in the new bar where the pin on the bottom of you control is, you have probably bent it up out of the way by not having it there already and trying to tighten the control up, the left grip probably just needs grip glue.look at the bars you took off if they were stock there will be a hole
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
      X