BUILDING AN I.C.B.M. KATANA 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drhermanstein View Post
    Thanks for the inspiration Katman, I'm well underway with my project and will be documenting as I go. Did you find that keeping documentation and uploading to GSrs kept you focused?
    I am prett focused anyway but it is very helpfull to have it all docuamented. I have it all on my computer as well and am in the process of posting the highlights, tips and tricks and points of interest on my kat site.

Your bike looks killer and I can't wait to see it done.
    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Originally posted by mlaalm View Post
      Inner fenders look great on stock wheelbased bikes but kinda looks cheesy on streatched out ones. Nice Kat
      Luv that lock-up cover . . . would'nt mind sport'in one of those on my stock clutch bike
      My clutch is also stock. I like the cover cuz it has an O ring around the quick access cover so I don't have to drop oil to change or check clutch plates. If you get one make sure it is a new gen version as they have a large enough hole to get the plates out. The early version you can only look.
      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

OK, The best dyno now she is done wa 100 hp????? what?? I know. Had a few issues as discussed in other threads. cam/ported head mis match. the crash and subsiquent reving while sliding on her side down the road scored up my cylinders and pistons and destroyed my cams.

1260cc here we come, hotter Cams and back cut valves and ... strait cut gears. I want to end this thread right......

with a posting of 9.99 or better. The estimates are in and this should be reachable if I am up to the job. Lookin for 140 ro 145 rwhp.

I will of course post some more numbers when she is all up and running again. I am building the engine myself this time.

She got some good magazine coverage this yr which I am pleased about but she has to run as strong as she looks or I won't be happy.
        KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

My head is done, Flow tested and dialed in to with in 1% for all ports. New set of stainless oversized valves with radius valve job. New .370 left Webbs and by crank was done by Stan Gardner. Dynamic balanced, indexed, strait cut gears and welded solid.

The 1260cc kit is in and I am expecting 150+ HP this season with triple digit torque numbers.

Shooting for upper 9's if I have the ability to get her off the line. Last season was a wash but with the new head work and diff cams the problems should be solved. This season I am going with Keihin FRC 39's to feed the beast.
          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Hope it all works out for you Katman. Lot of work.
            I visited your site and saw some of the bikes. Is that GSX1400S a production bike? I really like it from that one pic. I'd think it would sell like hotcakes over here.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I've got a sister-in-law in Esquimault. When I go to visit her I want to come and see your beast. I'm glad you got a different head on there. I was about to make all kinds of porting mistakes when my machine shop guy enlightened me. I'm hoping for close to 145 HP.

Comment

This goes back in the thread considerably but could help others tackle the steering stem differences between the 954 and GSXR triples. Rather than switching the 954 steering stem and having to use a shim at the top of the clamp I used my Dremel tool and carefully removed material from the inside of the GSXR upper bearing to fit the 954 steering stem. I had tried finding a bearing to allow for the differences but came up empty. So it was either take Katman's approach by switching stems or find a machine shop that could rework the bearing. Shops here wouldn't touch the bearing so I figured I had nothing to lose and went after my bearing with the Dremel.

I used the barrel type sanding attachment and only went through 3 pads to get the bearing where it needed to be. The shape of the attachment helps keep the sander flat against the bearing surface. The bearing is so hard you are barely removing any material with quite a bit of effort. It took me about 15 minutes to get the bearing where I wanted it. I was careful to slide the bearing onto the stem from both directions to make sure I was keeping things as straight as possible. All in all it turned out great and was pretty simple.

Comment

I didn't switch stems. I use a 2002 954 complete triple set. it has the correct bearings for the gs. the 929's don't and the later 954 don't either.
                  KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Originally posted by katman View Post
                    I didn't switch stems. I use a 2002 954 complete triple set. it has the correct bearings for the gs. the 929's don't and the later 954 don't either.
                    I thought I had read somewhere in the thread you had used the GSXR stem in the 954 triple then had to use a bushing between the stem and top triple. I ran into the bearing problem with my installation so I checked back to see how you tackled it. I guess later in the thread you came up with the '02 set.

Comment

I believe that was someone else who did the stem swap. Its odd that only one yr honda made the matching bearings. Only took me a 6 months,tons of money and plenty of frustration to find the bolt on. I mean why would any normal guy take an 04 954 and an 01 954 triple that didn't fit and try another yr thinking it would?????

But, I am happy to pass the road less traveled on so others don't go through what I did.
                      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Originally posted by katman View Post
                        I believe that was someone else who did the stem swap. Its odd that only one yr honda made the matching bearings. Only took me a 6 months,tons of money and plenty of frustration to find the bolt on. I mean why would any normal guy take an 04 954 and an 01 954 triple that didn't fit and try another yr thinking it would?????

But, I am happy to pass the road less traveled on so others don't go through what I did.
                        I would have done the stem swap but I had already bought all the nuts and stuff to bolt on the Honda triple when I found out the stock bearing didn't fit the 954 stem. I was either going to have to have the neck milled to fit the 954 bearing or make the stock bearing fit. It worked out well and thanks to you with your tip on the 954 triples the bike is back close to its original geometry.

Comment

kool Billy, Ride On!!
                          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

So the arm did the trick in the end then

Comment

Originally posted by buff1260 View Post
                              So the arm did the trick in the end then
                              sorry Buff, you lost me. The swingarm works great. Best fit for the kat I can find.
                              KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

You originally asked me a lot of questions about it on oldskool, because i had one in my blue gs1100

Comment

Working...
                                X