Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1100E alloy swing arm swap (on gs750 in this case) tolerances custom inner races?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100E alloy swing arm swap (on gs750 in this case) tolerances custom inner races?

Hello,

I am planning to replace the stock steel swing arm with an alloy 1100e swing arm on my gs750e -81.

I plan to use the 750 bolt without drilling the frame and therefore need to have custom inner races made for the bearings.

As far as I can understand they need to be ID 14 OD 25 and 35 mm wide. What should the tolerances be? I suppose they should be forced fit/tight fit/whatever the correct english phrase is?

What are the measurements for the center spacer? Is it also ID 14 OD 25 mm? How long? Tolerances here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have found a guy who can turn them out for me from hardened tool steel but I need to know what tolerances should be used.

Cheers//Fredrik

Hello Krogare, I made a few sets of these hardened interspacers. I will PM or e-mail you my blueprint/dimensions... Norm
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Would it not be simpler to fabricate one long tube that is the full width of the swingarm with ID 14 OD 25?
      2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
      1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
      2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
      s)

Comment

many have drilled the frame with zero problems.
        the bit will follow through quite easily and keep good alignment.
        i mean some people can break a rock but a little common sense will get this done with good results.

Comment

I also think it is much easier to drill the frame. If you aren't comfortable with drilling, take the frame to a machine shop & ask them how much they would charge to drill it. Then ask them how much to make all the spacers!!! There is also a reason Suzuki used the bigger pivot bolt on the 1100 swing arm. Ray.

Comment

Ok, I will give it some more thought. I'm gonna need new bearings and new spacers as well either way since the old ones look pretty badly corroded.

Did some research and if I have spacers made they should have a OD of 24.987-25.000 mm with a Ra<0.2 um, hardened to 48-54 HRC. I have a lead on where I can get a set for a reasonable cost. ID is not as critical since no direct contact with the bearings.

Thanks for the input

Comment

Working...
            X