Clutch slipping on low rpms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch slipping on low rpms

I have GS 1150 which is 1360 cc and supercharged. Clutch plates (friction & steel) are new and there is also MTC Snow flake lock up with three arms.
    Lock up is adjusted by instructions and clutch springs are Suzuki oem.
    Problem is clutch slipping on 4300 to 4800 rpm and 6000 to 6500 rpm (according to the datalog). After that the lock up "locks" the clutch.
    Is there any other way to get the clutch hold better on low rpmīs than stiffer clutch springs?
    How about adding one more friction disc by modifying clutch hub?

is this noticeable when riding or just when looking at the data?
    have you tried it with 6 arms?
    i have never encountered this with turbo charged street or drag bikes and i would run very light springs on everything except for a car tire drag bike with great results.
    a far as running more plates/taller stack height..i have messed around with this also but i ended up having to bend the clutch lever out to get more travel as the clutch tried to pull and get hot when sitting still.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
      is this noticeable when riding or just when looking at the data?
      have you tried it with 6 arms?
      i have never encountered this with turbo charged street or drag bikes and i would run very light springs on everything except for a car tire drag bike with great results.
      a far as running more plates/taller stack height..i have messed around with this also but i ended up having to bend the clutch lever out to get more travel as the clutch tried to pull and get hot when sitting still.
      Itīs noticeable when riding. With Eaton supercharger there is over 100 Nm rear wheel torque on 3000 rpm.
      This clutch slipping would not be any problem on drag race bike but on street bike itīs not so easy to hold the revs over 7000 all the time
      I have only three arms. If someone have three MTC lock up arms with pins & screws, Iīm interested to buy them.

Comment

you have a point...you have big torque at low RPM's compared to a turbo engine.
        you may have to make the static heavier but i would try the 6 arms 1st...
        MRE arms may fit...not sure though.

Comment

Are you running soft springs?
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You could try putting the other 3 arms on but the TRUE issue is that you need more static spring pressure. Put .020 (20 thousandths thick or .5 mm) shims behind each clutch spring. This is a STARTING point. If it still slips, add another shim behind each spring. This will keep the spring & lever pressure manageable but still lock up the clutch till the arms come in. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              You could try putting the other 3 arms on but the TRUE issue is that you need more static spring pressure. Put .020 (20 thousandths thick or .5 mm) shims behind each clutch spring. This is a STARTING point. If it still slips, add another shim behind each spring. This will keep the spring & lever pressure manageable but still lock up the clutch till the arms come in. Ray.
              Thanks Ray! I'm going to try this.

Comment

Working...
              X