forward foot controls and clubman bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

forward foot controls and clubman bars

I put clubman bars on my 82 GS550L to get rid of those awkward stock handlebars. I would have definitely ate it if I kept them. The choke is hard to hold along with the clutch lever now that they are in a straight line. Any suggestions on how to make that a little easier to reach? Maybe a choke, turn signal, hi/lo headlight switch assy from another model?

I want to put forward foot controls on the bike as well. The stock set it just too close to the seat for me to be comfortable. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions on what bike would be a good donor to use? I'm on a tight budget and hate to go aftermarket.

PS. I put an 750L swingarm on the back to upgrade the drum to a disk brake. It was a complete arm/brake/wheel/master cyl. Bolted right in and lined up perfectly. I was hesitant to make any mods, but thanks to the help on this forum, I took the plunge with successful results. Also put a set of Triumph mufflers on to get rid of the 80s cones but still keep it quiet. Thank you all for your posting your experiences and knowledge.

Last edited by Guest; 12-23-2013, 07:19 PM.

Originally posted by stunner67 View Post
    The choke is hard to hold along with the clutch lever now that they are in a straight line. Any suggestions on how to make that a little easier to reach? Maybe a choke, turn signal, hi/lo headlight switch assy from another model?
    A couple of things you can do:
    1. Adjust the tension screw under the "choke" lever. It will then stay where you put it.
    2. Bypass the clutch "safety" switch so you don't have to pull the clutch.

Regarding the forward controls, can't help you there, but I do like the mufflers you have added.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
    X