Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beefing up the front & rear of an old classic

Hi Gang,

One of my rides (and my favorite) is my 1979 GS750E that I restored 21 years ago.

I kept it pretty much stock except for ditching the stock air box for individual K&N’s, Bikemaster European bars, more modern rear shocks, Vance & Hines 4 into 1 pipe, and a Meyer front fender to replace the stock metal one.

She’s due for some love & attention and I’m thinking about changing out the stock rear swing arm for a much beefier one to accept a wider rear wheel, and to do the same thing up front with a modern set of beefier forks to accommodate a slightly wider wheel and improve front end stability.

I’ve seen a million projects where people have done this using parts from later 80’s and 90’s Suzuki bikes but most of them are big elaborate jobs with lots of welding and major modifications to make it all work.

All I want to do is find a rear swing arm that will bolt right on (with no pain) and have the rear wheel sprocket line up with the existing drive sprocket without having to use a dished one or perform a major surgery to make it all work – and to also find a set of thicker forks (preferably upside-down forks) that will bolt right on without a ton of pain.

Any and all suggestions are welcome……………………thanks in advance….

You are funny!

Comment

Can't you be nice?

I too will never again be 55, am not a mechanic (or a welder), and would be interested in such upgrades for my 1100EZ.
      Last edited by Rob S.; 02-18-2014, 12:02 AM.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

80-83 gs1100 swing arm goes in place but needs new sleeves in the bearings to be a bolt in. Lots of front ends will swap with a head bearing change but you will have to do some mods on steering stops and the like. I have a 81 gs 1100e front end and swing arm on my 78 gs750e.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.
          Post some pics of your bike.

Am also not a mechanic. Am reasonably skilled at some tasks & pretty clueless at others.

Comment

Thanks so much for the feedback guys, I attached some pics of my baby as she is now……

This is the look I'm sort of going for.....

This is my other baby..............

Comment

Great looking bike...personally i dont love the tail on the sample bike, but it looks really good with the modern suspension.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks for the compliment, I put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into her.

She was a $50.00 basket when I bought her years ago, but after lots of money and a two year restoration I got her how I wanted her, and she's been really good to me.

I agree about the sample bike, I love everything else he did to it except for the tail section..........

Comment

So we agree you're going to get rid of that bodywork down in front?
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Best bet for the swingarm is to use a bandit 1200 arm, with mounts for twin shock welded on.

Comment

Well...............I'm torn on that air scoop actually

I like the way it looks (even though I'm painfully aware that many purist's don't)

I admit that I don't know if I'd like it with a more modern front & rear end bolted to the bike, but it stays for now because I like the way I looks and functionally it really does work..

Believe it or not, it's not just aesthetics; that front scoop (air-dam) truly does help to keep the lower end cool on long runs.

We'll see what the future brings.

Comment

Silverbullet132:

Cool, as long as I can find one with the mounts already welded on (as I am not a welder) and also the requirement that it can fit and bolt right into the existing pivot space without any major mod work.

Comment

I like the scoop its your bike do it for you not for purists

Comment

Thanks 78gs750e................

I've gotten a lot of compliments while stopped at gas stations...(even from the Harley crowd) imagine that....

Comment

Originally posted by 78gs750e View Post
                              its your bike do it for you not for purists
                              I agree. Of course, a compliment from a Harley guy...

Comment

Working...
                              X