Race Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Race Bike

Hello, i have a Kat with a 1135efe motor.It currently has the stock 36mmcv carbs & its running well.But i would like a bit more power.Motor is stock apart from 4-1 exhaust.
    What would be best bang for buck?
    Some have suggested a set of RS36, & others CR33.
    Am i right in thinking the RS are more suited to the road?

Originally posted by KiwiDes View Post
    Hello, i have a Kat with a 1135efe motor.It currently has the stock 36mmcv carbs & its running well.But i would like a bit more power.Motor is stock apart from 4-1 exhaust.
    What would be best bang for buck?
    Some have suggested a set of RS36, & others CR33.
    Am i right in thinking the RS are more suited to the road?
    Actually your best bang for the buck would be at 1229.

$550 plus the cost of cylinder bore and head and base gasket and you will have plenty more power; way more than going to a set of RS's.

Get some head work done while you are at it and you will have a fire breather.

You can always keep adding, cams and carbs later.

For just the big bore you are probably close to the same cost as the RS36's new. Of course you can save a couple bucks buying used but it still will not compare to the 1229.

Comment

That's the direction I intend to go with my 1150. No replacement for displacement.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Well if you're racing it in NZ, you already know it's illegal for pre 82....So why even think about CR's. Go for the RS flatslides.

Comment

A 1229 kit, alone, will make more torque but only a LITTLE more power. The carbs will make more POWER. Do the carbs first & go from there. the carbs are good for about 8-10 hp. A 1229 kit by itself will be 4-6. The 1229 kit with carbs is good for almost 20! Amazing which combinations produce more power. Head work & cams on a 1229 with RSs will get you 150-160 if the head is done correctly. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
            Well if you're racing it in NZ, you already know it's illegal for pre 82....So why even think about CR's. Go for the RS flatslides.
            Hi, yeah i know i would have to go pre89. In the Auckland series they tend to put both classes out together anyway.(i cant see myself being at the pointy end of the field anyway).Why would you go for the RS? Thanks

Comment

Yeees...NI Post classics with fields lumped together....NOT my favorite thing. Not how we like to do it down here - unless we have to.

CR's if you have any intention of putting the correct motor in it...

RS's for their greater "tuneability" if you're keeping it road legal

In fact I would imagine looking at the pic, that it's a bit of a handful now.
              Original brakes,flexible wire wheels....and an 1135. From experience i would think that the CV carbs are a big part of making it rideable. Slide type, whether CR's or RS's will give a much more immediate response - which you may not like at all.

Comment

I have no head work done, stock cams, 1229, GSXR 36mm slingshots, pipe. Had it dynoed at a trackday, but the stock ignitor gave up the ghost at 7000 rpm. The dyno run went blank after that, but HP was 118 and torque was about 81, up until it blanked out. Not sure what the numbers would have been with 1500 more rpms.
                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                  Yeees...NI Post classics with fields lumped together....NOT my favorite thing. Not how we like to do it down here - unless we have to.

CR's if you have any intention of putting the correct motor in it...

RS's for their greater "tuneability" if you're keeping it road legal

In fact I would imagine looking at the pic, that it's a bit of a handful now.
                  Original brakes,flexible wire wheels....and an 1135. From experience i would think that the CV carbs are a big part of making it rideable. Slide type, whether CR's or RS's will give a much more immediate response - which you may not like at all.
                  Still getting used to the bike,been racing a 675 Daytona so the Kat is hard work.Just need some more track time

Comment

have you looked at some tingate clipons. there wider and flatter and ohh so nice to ride with. Not a good pic but u get the idea

Comment

Can degreed stock cams, jetted, podded OE carbs and mild headwork give solid results with a 1229 kit?
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                        Can degreed stock cams, jetted, podded OE carbs and mild headwork give solid results with a 1229 kit?
                        Yes, definitely, but you are holding the motor back with the CVs.
                        Ray.

Comment

36 or 38 RS better for that application?
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

Around town the 36s. Dyno or race track for max HP the 38s. Ray.

Comment

36s it shall be then. Cheers, Ray!
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X