Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grinding Stator?

Bike: 83 GS1100

Problem: I hooked up my multimeter to my battery and put it in my tank bag to see what the charging was looking like. The battery was at 11.9 volts, and when revved it to 5k, it would hold at 12 V. So I figured "Damn, it's not charging". As soon as I start to head back, I start feeling this grinding coming from the stator cover. Now I had taken the cover off yesterday, and I saw metal shavings and the stator is worn (where it rotates inside the hub at the end of the crank), so I assumed that the grinding is from the stator rubbing on teh hub. Thing is, when that's happening, my system starts charging normally, reading 13.86-14.01 volts. But the grinding is so bad that my bike actually lurches every so often as if it's grabbing...

My motor is coming apart on Wednesday, but still. Any ideas as to what is causing this? The stator is secure in the housing...

-x01660

Rotor loose?

Also check the little clip thing that holds the stator wires in place. All three set screws on the stator secure?

And look at the housing for the starter clutch behind the rotor.

Pics would help

Nic
    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

I'm sure Bill will be looking at it next week.

Comment

The grinding I assume was from the rotor spinning on the crank.
        The stator looked fine and there were no metal shavings.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
        X