Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best upgrade for these old bikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the best upgrade for these old bikes?

So I'd had my bike for a couple of years now. It's completely stock except for some cosmetic changes and paint changes. I have a 1980 750l. What should I be doing to this thing to give it a few more modern upgrades that will make it a more reliable bike? Electrical, etc? Just curious as to what people have done and been happy with. I've redone all the brakes and rebuilt my forks along with new tires and my chain being replaced. When I got it two years ago the odometer said 7500 miles.

I consider my Compufire regulator rectifier to be the biggest improvement I have made to my bike.
    A tiny thing but it brought my confidence back.

Comment

Originally posted by thkbaron View Post
      So I'd had my bike for a couple of years now. It's completely stock except for some cosmetic changes and paint changes. I have a 1980 750l. What should I be doing to this thing to give it a few more modern upgrades that will make it a more reliable bike? Electrical, etc? Just curious as to what people have done and been happy with. I've redone all the brakes and rebuilt my forks along with new tires and my chain being replaced. When I got it two years ago the odometer said 7500 miles.
      Series R/R and Solid State Power Box, then LED lights.

Read GS Stators

and

See Series R/R's and SSPB description in my signature.

Comment

1) stainless brake lines.
        2) Progressive front fork springs
        3) good quality (Progressive?) rear shocks & springs.
        4) regulator/rectifier upgrade
        That's if you already upgraded to a more modern tire design & compound.
        You'll see a world of difference in the bike with those few items.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          Series R/R and Solid State Power Box, then LED lights.

Read GS Stators

and

See Series R/R's and SSPB description in my signature.
          Whats the benefit too LED lights?
          I know they use less power, but how does that relate back to being a benefit if your charging system is in good health?

Comment

Originally posted by landshark View Post
            Whats the benefit too LED lights?
            I know they use less power, but how does that relate back to being a benefit if your charging system is in good health?
            The r/r has to generate 15 amps.to keep electrical and battery charged. That is about 3_4 amps for the battery and at least.5 amps to the signals. You can drop that number to less than 1 amp which is more than 30% drop in demand less heat higher voltage stress and more available power.

Sorry practicing with new android
            Last edited by posplayr; 03-17-2014, 09:25 PM.

Comment

OK, less stress on the system in general makes sense. Thanks.
              We dont run headlights through the day here(unless you want to), but i can see why that would make a difference + blinkers e.t.c

Comment

oltagex lesx dtresx

??

Comment

Originally posted by landshark View Post
                  OK, less stress on the system in general makes sense. Thanks.
                  We dont run headlights through the day here(unless you want to), but i can see why that would make a difference + blinkers e.t.c
                  On my bike, if every dash/idiot light was on inside the dash it would consume 50 watts. That is the same power that a SHUNT R/R dissipates shorting the stator (350 watts) and delivering another 220 watts.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                    oltagex lesx dtresx

??
                    I was just testing the waters and bought a cheap one for test equipment.

With wireless , bluetooth, and Magic jack I'm fullly connected in the shop for $25 and no monthly.

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Kyocera Hydro C5170 - 2GB - Black (Unlocked) Smartphone at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

I will probably get a larger one for enhanced graphics or just bigger letters for the over 50 crowd.

Comment

Upgrades

Originally posted by thkbaron View Post
                      I converted my single caliper front brake to braided line/rebuilt caliper&MC/works GREAT now.

Haven't done the 630/530 conversion because my heavy chain is in good condition/albeit now that I've given it TLC.

I had an oil leak which I thought was coming from the GEAR SHIFT SEAL/took apart my clutch basket because I disconnected the clutch paw/that was fun.

Found the culprit for the oil leak...which was the oil pan gasket on the gear side. REMOVED the exhaust pipes and the oil pan cover and decided to upgrade to a V&H 4-1 exhaust from Z1Enterprises...will be delivered this week, btw.

Looked at the shocks and said to myself, "these babies gotta go!" Ordered PROGRESSIVE shocks from Z1--Rob thanked me for my business.

Since I changed the exhaust system, my bike needed to go up 3 points on the MAIN JETS, I ordered 115.5's along w/the SHOCKS--delivery this week!

I've been very fortunate in the R/R department...my bike has great charging power. I may consider it before I convert to 530 chain...we'll see.

Originally posted by LarryJ View Post
                      For my "T"
                      #1 - DONE
                      #3 - IN PROGRESS

Good recommendations!

Ed
                      Last edited by GSXR7ED; 03-17-2014, 09:34 PM.
                      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                        I've been very fortunate in the R/R department...my bike has great charging power. I may consider it before I convert to 530 chain...we'll see.

Good recommendations!

Ed
                        I'm glad you have no problems, but there are hidden charging killers in most motorcycles with PM alternators. I would at least do a Quick Test to see quantitatively where you stand.

Comment

Charge

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                          I'm glad you have no problems, but there are hidden charging killers in most motorcycles with PM alternators. I would at least do a Quick Test to see quantitatively where you stand.
                          You've helped me out before...it's been a awhile. Once I get my 4-1 exhaust and progressive shocks installed, I'll take a look at the R/R.

I've got MrBill helping me with those two items listed above...plus the Main Jets to adjust for the 4-1 pipes.

So much to do yet...I appreciate you mentioning this...I'll call those "hidden charging killers" GREMLINS for the time being.

Ed
                          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryJ View Post
                            Hey I've done all of those except the rectifier. haha forgot to say that on my post. Good to know I've headed down the right road.

Comment

I'm glad this thread gained a bit of popularity because I'm sure tons want to do this stuff. Maybe I'll work on getting the electrical system up to snuff then. Where have people purchased their electrical upgrades? I've already dumped too much money and of course am looking to save a buck. Between this bike and modding out my ram I swear my wife's going to divorce me. lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X